Forums > RWBY

Farewell, Monty Oum - Mourning Thread

Posts (122)

• Blood_XIII

Blood_XIII

#32719751 - 2 years ago

Many of you are already aware of this from social media, Burnie and Matt's posts here on the site, the tribute podcast and the news update on the group's main page, but just in case you've somehow missed it...

Monty Oum has passed away at the age of 33.

This is devastating news to everyone, I'm sure. Many people across the site and the internet in general have been mourning and paying their respects in various ways.
    It is to be noted that Rooster Teeth and Sheena, Monty's widow, have asked that no flowers or physical gifts be sent, and that instead you pay respects by creating something and/or continuing to be productive, as Monty himself would have done.

As such, even though people have and will use Matt's journal, the comments section of Monty's page as well as the comments on Monty's tribute podcast (Which can be seen here) and social media to mourn and grieve, I've decided to make this thread so that anyone and everyone may post their respects whenever they wish.
    This thread will forever be sticky'd at the top of these forums, just as Monty will forever remain an admin in this group, as a tribute to the man who touched the lives of so many and will never be forgotten by any of us.

If you wish to honor Monty through your page, many people have made the following work by @Red8Ball their primary image in remembrance:
    tumblr_nj30atouMN1u9184lo1_1280.jpg

If you've never seen Monty's previous work, Dead Fantasy, you can find most of it on his personal YouTube channel.
    Dead Fantasy 6 can be found here.
    And finally Monty's debut work, Haloid, can be found here.

==============================

Allow me also to say this right now, as a general warning.

I've seen the bad side to this fandom, both the people with generally terrible personalities and the overzealous fans who argue and bicker endlessly with no remorse. I've seen people use the most non-sensical reasoning to defend their theories, headcanons and OTPs over and over again to the point where, quite frankly, I'd all but given up on the fandom as a whole because people are so unwilling to accept any theory but their own.

As such...
    IF I EVER CATCH WIND OF ANYONE USING MONTY'S PASSING AS A THEORY DEFENSE OR TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SERIES QUALITY, I WILL REMOVE YOUR POST ABOUT SUCH AND THEN IMMEDIATELY HUNT DOWN YOUR NAME IN THE GROUP LIST AND REMOVE YOU FROM THE GROUP MYSELF, AS WELL AS ADD YOU TO A LIST OF SHAME THAT WILL BE STICKY'D BELOW THIS FOR EVERYONE TO SEE. I WILL EVEN GO SO FAR AS TO CREATE A TWITTER ACCOUNT AND POST ONLY TWEETS OF THE NAMES OF THOSE SAME PEOPLE SO IT EXISTS OFF-SITE AS WELL.

By this I mean saying things such as "This isn't what Monty wanted to happen" or "Without Monty the series isn't being done right."
    You ARE allowed to say simple things however, such as "The series will never be the same without Monty's animation skill/voice," because such things are more of a comment on Monty being missed by his fans than it is a comment on the hard work of those still involved.

You're also more than welcome to freely worry about the future of RWBY, because despite what many think about such thoughts being cruel or heartless after such a great loss we must remember Monty's OWN dedication to his work; Monty wouldn't have wanted his work to suffer in the event of the passing of others, and so honestly our worry about RWBY as a production IS a tribute to Monty because I daresay he would tell us all to not let his passing change the passion we have for his work.

I've already seen it happen on a site that shall not be named, someone who shall remain anonymous mentioning that with Monty's passing "Miles and Kerry won't adhere to Monty's vision of [INSERT SHIP HERE]." I've kept as much info out and paraphrased the statement where possible so that person won't be attacked for their idiocy, but if it happens here THERE WILL be repercussions.

I WILL NOT ALLOW MONTY'S NAME TO BE BASTARDIZED AND EXPLOITED FOR SELFISH NONSENSE.

You do not know what Monty had in his vision for RWBY and you do not know that he hadn't told Miles and Kerry every last detail of what he wanted to happen when he was still healthy. There IS a RWBY bible in the office that has been mentioned several times that outlined the direction of the show's plot and various elements, many of which we've still not seen and won't for years to come. RWBY is in the best hands it could possibly be in; Not the hands of fans who would do as they pleased with Monty's dream, but in the hands of people who loved Monty and wanted to make and I imagine still intend to make his vision a reality.

Post edited 2/03/15 3:52PM

• JaseAlex

JaseAlex FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32719752 - 2 years ago

I would check out RVB videos, listen to a podcast or some other content. Haloid and Dead Fantasy blew me away, then I found out their creator was the same guy that did the fight scenes for RVB, and he was going to do his own anime... I never made an account on Roosterteeth until RWBY was announced. There was just something so deep to the characters in those trailers, that I felt compelled to sign up. Whatever this was and where-ever it was going, I wanted to be part of that experience. RWBY is something I throw my support behind, and I still don't understand fully why; other than, that RWBY is awsome. In ancient Egypt, the generation that started a pyramid never saw it finished; and the generation that finished the pyramid never saw it started. My hope is that RWBY continues on, to become the monument that Monty Oum envisioned. That his talent inspires us all to create something bigger than we ever thought we could imagine. I regret never meeting him and thanking him for his work, in all the projects he was involved. Respect...

• Apotheosis_x

Apotheosis_x

#32719753 - 2 years ago

I joined in 2013 just for RWBY, but I want to stay around to support the RT family, and get support myself, as lately I've been all gloom, not to sound cliché.

I've known Monty since Haloid, I believe, or Dead or Alive. And even though he didn't know me, and I've never had the privilege to meet him in person (or go to the united states, for that matter), the realization that I will never see anything from him, or even have the chance to talk to him, has been slowly creeping up on me since last night, when I couldn't sleep as I was thinking about what he has achieved in his life and what else he could have achieved next. And I am this close to bawling my eyes out. I miss him. He was a hard-working, creative person who inspired and motivated me.

I love you Monty. And I will never forget you.

• LoganDufek

LoganDufek FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32719754 - 2 years ago

Monty was an inspiration, someone who gave things his all. I know Matt said to do something creative, so in Monty's honor I wrote this. We love you Monty.

roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=...

• lethalred

lethalred FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32719755 - 2 years ago

We are all saddened that Monty is no longer with us and this is obviously more true to those who knew him well. And although I was never able to meet the man personally I hold three treasures that makes me feel both joy and sorrow; for their meaning is like the opposing side to a coin.

I have been away from any large city that holds any kind of convention due to college and have never been able to meet any of the brilliant minds on Rooster Teeth including Monty. However I am from Seattle and I have some wonderful friends who were lucky enough to meet Monty and managed to gift me a deck of RWBY cards that were autographed by Monty himself. This is the only physical treasure but it is not necessarily the greatest.

The second gift is one shared by everyone of his fans; the content that he created was something new and inventive that was influenced by our growing gaming society. his work is revolutionary and inspiring, which leads me to my third and possibly most precious treasure.

Monty's smash hit with RWBY has opened up potential with every major fan to get them to create their own story (be it governed by the rules of the universe he created or one of their very own) to which artistic growth and imagination can blossom into talents that were previously unrecognized. My skills with art were limited to the real world media like glass and wood. I was never good at drawing or inspired at creating characters and their story but with RWBY and Monty's encouragement to the community to become involved in shaping this world and give it your all I found the drive to branch out into something I thought was never possible. I'm even considering grabbing a copy of poser for my computer and learning something completely unknown to me and it is all because of Monty's vision, the RWBY team's dedication, and the Rooster Teeth community's collective respect and sense of unity.

Thank you Monty Oum and Rooster Teeth

• AmberPortela

AmberPortela

#32719756 - 2 years ago

I know a lot of people made their own Monty Oum tribute videos, I just wanna add mine too. Hope you like it.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaMpyXPBz34

• clindner1996

clindner1996

#32719758 - 2 years ago

Red, the color of love for a friend and roses.
    White, represents a pure soul and lovely life.
    Black, the aftermath of a close and dear friend being taken away.
    Yellow, the light that he shined into all of us.

Monty Oum was a great man. He could make everyone smile and also make Gavin almost puke.
    From RvB to RWBY, he placed a little of himself into everything he did. Monty is a man I aim to be like. He was a man of character, love for his friends and family, and a huge, happy heart. Monty did not only love his friends and family, but he also loved everyone in the community. We must all remember him and never forget of the impact he had on so many people. Monty gave us a whole world to run away to, filled with magic and adventure. The amount of love and grief for Monty is unmeasurable.

Monty Oum
    June 22, 1981 - February 1, 2015

A great friend, co-worker, and role-model.

By: Cole Lindne

• monni99

monni99

#32719759 - 2 years ago

This post has been deleted by a moderator.

• wowlookapand

wowlookapand FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32719760 - 2 years ago

This took a lot out of me to make, both in production and post. Wish I could have cleaned up the audio better, but here it is released to the world to be shared. Please enjoy.

Keep Moving Forward - A Tribute to Monty Oum

• AurumEagle

AurumEagle FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32719761 - 2 years ago

Monty's work was what inspired me to start writing, I can't say that I've had the honor of meeting him, but i hope he knew what he did. That his work will live in the countless people who will write and animate and make cool stuff all because they were inspired by who he was. Like i said i never met him, but i like to think that he would have loved to see the things created by the people he inspired. I think it is in these works not just the ones he had an actual hand in making which he will live on in. So thank you Monty for everything you have done and everything that will be done because of you.

• TM4TheWin

TM4TheWin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32719762 - 2 years ago

Requiescat in pace

Monty, your legacy will live on

• Emrikir

Emrikir

#32719763 - 2 years ago

A brilliant mind/
    The windblown bloom has wilted/
    In our hearts still shines/
    Despite the life cut too short/
    Inspires us forevermore.

RIP Monty, may his memory live on.

• Rwbyfangirl54

Rwbyfangirl54

#32823120 - 2 years ago

In reply to Blood_XIII #32719751 No one could replace Monty. he was amazing at his craft.

R.I.P Monty. We miss you :'(

• Vindictious

Vindictious

#32824523 - 2 years ago

I came late to RWBY, after Monty passed. I've been a lover of anime since I first saw Space Battleship Yamato about 1970. I used to write for fun a long time ago, but I haven't written anything for the last 25 years, at least not seriously. Monty's vision rekindled that flame. In the last 20 days, I have finished seven stories. I hope you can appreciate the depth of my gratitude to a man I wish I had met. " A man never truly dies, so long as his name is spoken".

• imaginater

imaginater

#32826051 - 1 year ago

HEY. um I know I really really late to say this but still sorry for your loss. um where are all the RWBY groups gone to? honestly I thinks they should stay up as tribute to Monty Oum. Also this is just a personal thought and I'm still conflicted as to what will be best to Oum's Legacy. I think the RWBY should end with him, but I also think that it may need to continue. I am not sure. can I please have some info on what was agreed upon so I wont mistakenly hurt someone?

• Blood_XIII

Blood_XIII

#32826662 - 1 year ago

In reply to imaginater #32826051

Most everything about RWBY's continuation can be found in Gray's various journals

http://roosterteeth.com/gray

RWBY WILL continue, and I don't doubt that a big basis of that decision is that Monty himself wouldn't stand for ANY work to cease just because someone, nevermind himself seeing as Monty was noted as being very humble, had passed away. This was a man who, when his own mother passed away, STILL felt the need to complete whatever he was working on and not allow the pain and sorrow to hinder his desire to create. So really, as a testament to the man who created it, RWBY will continue because Monty wouldn't have wanted anything different if had been anyone else.

As for all the RWBY groups and other groups here on the site though, I don't doubt we'll see them come back once the site has been fully refined and everything~ The tech department at RT is busting their asses right now to get everything running properly, but with so much to move and work out the bugs for it's going to take a good bit of time~

• RainSilves

RainSilves

#32835011 - 1 year ago

well i was going to say something, But it looks like what i was going to say was already shared by the Roosterteeth family. so i'll only say this. " The show must Go on!" T.T

• turbocaboose

turbocaboose

#32836984 - 1 year ago

i don't think i can say anything that people haven't already said nor am i good with words but i've been a fan of monty's work for a very long time since someone showed me some of his earlier work. i was sad to hear of his untimely passing he will be missed. RIP Monty you live on in the memories of of your family friends and fans. sorry for your loss roosterteeth family.

• user-55c2015ad5253

user-55c2015ad5253

#32838893 - 1 year ago

I'm just now seeing this and I'm shocked!!! I just can't imagine that daily life there at RoosterTeeth is the same with Monty gone. He is and will be missed by you guys I'm sure but a great many of us as well. For someone I never got a chance to meet in a way I can say I have deep love and respect for the man as he was. He had a lot of talent that he seemed to enjoy sharing with those around him and even those not around him too. Please you people at RT keep his dream going as best as you can and as close to, as you think his was, his ideals as possible. I think that would be one of the better ways to honor his memory.

• imaginater

imaginater

#32858938 - 1 year ago

In reply to Blood_XIII #32826662

thank you so much for your response. I know Monty was a genius in creativity and envisioning the worlds he wanted to create, but I was not able to know him personally. thank you for bringing my a little closer to him. after ready your reply I am very convinced that continuing the show would be best for his legacy. and thank for the tech update too. I will be extremely busy with my studies but I would like to be able to help with the production of RWBY. I have wanted to ask Monty about this but do to me surroundings I lost the chance to do that, So I'll say it while I can. If you guys need any help with the production of RWBY I will be glad to lend a helping hand

• Roze

Roze

#32867208 - 1 year ago

In reply to Blood_XIII

Monty onii-sama.... I didn't get onto the internet until July, when I found out he died, I broke... I will honor him! I love you Monty-san!!!

• Roze

Roze

#32867210 - 1 year ago

In reply to imaginater

undefined RWBY continues. It should. Monty-san was a big part of it, but no one can just think, this is how the series ends. It needs to have an ending, and even though Monty won't be here to help, we can all think: what would he do?

• tripps99

tripps99 Tripp

#32868119 - 1 year ago

I am a newcomer to this conversation and the rooster teeth site in general; however, the production level and quality is outstanding from this crew. I first watched RVB over ten years ago on deployment, and have only recently caught up to the latest season. Monty's work on RVB is what brought me to look the RWBY videos. While I did not necessarily like the the animation style to begin with, the story and animation improvements sucked me in. My six year now wants to dress like Weiss for Halloween or wants the RWBY box set as a gift. Monty's vision was amazing, and I can hope to see his dream continue in the new season, whenever it comes out.

• DustChiphingGrim

DustChiphingGrim

#32869701 - 1 year ago

Hi & hello.

I literally just registered just for the purpose to pay my respects and give my condolence for the departed Mounty Oum. I know I could have done this earlier, I heard about this like a few days later but I figured it would not change anything and there would be alot of people doing this anyway.

But since the last RWBY season is over now for some time and my addicted side is building it up more and more, it just became the right time to do it. Im not believing in death and the loss of conscious but in the pain of those who remain and are now unable to meet the person again in this life.

You created something great, Monty Oum. RWBY is one of the few things in this life I think off only with positive feelings. Its great, its brilliant, its not too flat and not too deep, just the right amount of everything ( at least for me ).

When someone dies in such tragic circumstances, I think its because they are just too great for the world to comprehend and too good to be true. Maybe this world is cursed with an annoying air of boredom, hatred and all that annoying stuff I dont know.

But you made something great that can break this stinking daily life of this world and will always be. Wherever you are right now, may the Force and the Dust be with you. :) And maybe the animalstylized ears and all that things. ^^

- A DustCiphingGrim

• DustChiphingGrim

DustChiphingGrim

#32869703 - 1 year ago

Hi & hello.

I literally just registered just for the purpose to pay my respects and give my condolence for the departed Mounty Oum. I know I could have done this earlier, I heard about this like a few days later but I figured it would not change anything and there would be alot of people doing this anyway.

But since the last RWBY season is over now for some time and my addicted side is building it up more and more, it just became the right time to do it. Im not believing in death and the loss of conscious but in the pain of those who remain and are now unable to meet the person again in this life.

You created something great, Monty Oum. RWBY is one of the few things in this life I think off only with positive feelings. Its great, its brilliant, its not too flat and not too deep, just the right amount of everything ( at least for me ).

When someone dies in such tragic circumstances, I think its because they are just too great for the world to comprehend and too good to be true. Maybe this world is cursed with an annoying air of boredom, hatred and all that annoying stuff I dont know.

But you made something great that can break this stinking daily life of this world and will always be. Wherever you are right now, may the Force and the Dust be with you. :) And maybe the animalstylized ears and all that things. ^^

- A DustCiphingGrim