Forums > RWBY

Faunus species and inspiration

Posts (117)

• DarkTempler7

DarkTempler7 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33345819 - 8 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Sure. The team is called COBA (cobalt). The leader of the team is Citrine. He's based on Bellona, a Roman war goddess who's the wife of Mars. Brunswick (it's actually an alias, his birth name is Hunter), is based on the fictionalized accounts of Guan Yu from the Three Kingdoms novel. Then there's Olivia who's based on Athena. I've also got a full Huntress named Morrigan, named for the Celtic goddess by the same name and 4 mercenaries who end up getting hired by the White Fang shortly before the events of volume 3. If you'd like more details I'll send you a message with their profiles if you'd like, since only one of the other characters is a Faunus and I don't want to derail the thread to much.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33345821 - 8 months ago

In reply to DarkTempler7 Yeah good idea, send it away and I'll read whenever I have time ^^

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33346423 - 8 months ago

In reply to sonofcinder See, I like that. It's not typical or something everyone would want, yet still cool in its own way. The easy way out would have been to give her a beak or wings, but that wouldn't make for an interesting character trait. Very nice! 

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33346490 - 8 months ago

Now here's a question: when it comes to faunus traits, are they always external, like appendages and such? Or can the trait be internal, like organs?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33346502 - 8 months ago

It's never been specified I think.

• DarkTempler7

DarkTempler7 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33346506 - 8 months ago

It would be hard to tell. That being said, we've seen one Faunus that had retractable claws. It's not what you were asking, but it's a trait that's not totally external.

• TerrabytePrime

TerrabytePrime The Weapon Guy

#33351857 - 8 months ago

I have some ideas, I am new on the rooster teeth premises, me and AnimeAnnemarie met on the character idea thread, and I have some interesting Faunus ideas as well. So, this will get complicated, I wanted him to be unique story wise and have some interesting paths that his story could follow; so I came up with Navy Steel, the insect Faunus. I also wanted him to be future proof, in case RT said that insect fauni don't exist, so "deep inhale"  Navy is the product of an Atlas genetic experiment, a super soldier program, if you will. Wether he was meant to be Faunus or not, he was given insect traits during his early development stages in the womb. This resulted in a thin beatle like exoskeleton and dragonfly wings, although those wings cannot support his weight in flight on their own. The armor also causes side effects in mobility, making Navy not very flexible or "bendy." Even with those setbacks, Navy is like a light armored tank, taking hits and dealing out a world of pain(without aura anyway). If his name seems odd, there are story points as to why.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33351881 - 8 months ago

Dude, I really like that idea. 'Future proof' too!

• TerrabytePrime

TerrabytePrime The Weapon Guy

#33352946 - 8 months ago

It would be a little strange, but I find that strange things happen when things seem most normal.

I am pretty sure that is the most profound thing I have said in a long time.

• RainbowLycan

RainbowLycan

#33392380 - 8 months ago

I have a jellyfish faunus aswell just a different gender his name his Gamboge Silklinen and He has a twin sister named Ecru who is a porcupine faunus.In reply to YoiteShimizu

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33392389 - 8 months ago

In reply to RainbowLycan

Very nice! Does your jellyfish faunus have a similar attribute to mine (stingers in the hair) or did you go a different route?

• MoonCousin

MoonCousin

#33444820 - 7 months ago

One of my lads, Panya Emem of Team KEPL, is a Pangolin faunus. With large sand coloured scales covering his back and parts of his neck and chest. Not perfect armour but when his Aura is depleted it's tougher than skin.

I've been considering making another character who has a heavy snake theme in her design, KEPL's leader Krait, a Snake Faunus. Who's trait would be a snakelike mouth. Not just venomous fangs, which she would have of course, but the rest of her teeth are smaller and sharper, she lacks a proper chin bone meaning the two sides of her jaw can move independently and stretch the mouth wider, two joints at the point where the skull connects with the jaw, and large prominent dark glands at her cheekbones that store venom.

Another potential faunus is Escolar from KEPL (Again, I promise this is the last KEPL example) Who is a fish faunus (A Escolar, obviously) He possesses gills along his neck and cheeks with dark blue/grey/brown scales scattered around them. His flesh is also foul tasting and poisonous, the kind of poisonous that is like suffering from food poisoning and nothing fatal. Can only temporarily stop a grimm from killing him but sometimes thats enough.

An unused idea I had was for a faunus with an extra pair of "arms" reacting above his current ones that were Mantis Pincers. Green exoskeletal plating covering his real arms and shoulders for good measure.

Another idea I had was for a villainous character that was a Cone Shell Faunus.

I'm not joking. Nor am I insane.

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33569388 - 3 months ago

I was told to resurrect this thread so here goes:

Xavier and his father, Arthur are fruit bat faunus. Xavier had the pointy teeth and Arthur has the wierd nose.

Ignatys father Iosif is a bull, he had hooves instead of feet.

Ariel and her daughter Hyuuga both have the same fish gills. It also allows water breathing.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33569410 - 3 months ago

In reply to GenErick64 This does wake me wonder: are just Iosif's feet hooves or his hands too? And do Ariel and Hyuuga have both normal lungs AND gills?

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33569419 - 3 months ago

Just feet hooves, like a Satyr.

Yes, lungs and gills.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33569423 - 3 months ago

Nice, but isn't his balance a little fucked if his legs are bent normally but his feet are hooves?

• GenErick64

#33569450 - 3 months ago

I actually imagine him with the full leg ensemble (thighs down), hair and all.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33569456 - 3 months ago

In reply to GenErick64 Including the way the knees would bend?

• GenErick64

#33569468 - 3 months ago

Yes

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33569596 - 3 months ago

I see!

• Flagwaver

Flagwaver

#33572447 - 3 months ago

I’m currently designing a character by the name of Ikkonzome Keaton.  She is a Red Fox-type Faunus and has a tail.  Well, in truth, she has three tails… but I’ll get to that in a moment.

Her costume is based on a stylized form of Miko Robes (temple caretaker robes).  She wears a gunbelt over her hakama with a pair of drop-holsters that strap to her legs (and tie down her other two tails).

Her weapons are Kami and Kaze, a pair of semi-automatic pistols that open into fighting fans.  Kami has the picture of a sunrise over the ocean on it and Kaze has the picture of a moonrise over the ocean on it.

Her fighting style is based on Aikido, being purely defensive.  It is so defensive to the point that she is unable to attack someone without them attacking her first.  Oh, she’s also a terrible marksman going for quantity over quality when it comes to shooting.

Her Semblance is Ghosting.  Think Shadowcat, but limited to about six seconds at a pop.  She can numb attackers’ limbs by passing through them or disorient them by passing through their head.  Also, she can impart the effects of Dust when passing through something.

As for her tails, they mark her as a Faunus spiritual leader.  It’s something her mother feared being found out, knowing it would lead her daughter to trouble.  She was taught to hide them lest she be taken advantage of and used for propaganda purposes.

I may end up also giving her the ability to create Faux Fire.  It won’t do anything in a combat sense, but case a light like a torch and look like fire.

She was inspired by, you guessed it, Kitsune.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33572526 - 3 months ago

In reply to Flagwaver Kitsune just translates to fox, doesn't it? I didn't think it was also a specific (mythological?) thing.

• Flagwaver

Flagwaver

#33572569 - 3 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

Actually, Japanese mythology views the Kitsune as a fox-spirit.  It's kind of a trickster, but also revered.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33572585 - 3 months ago

In reply to Flagwaver I'm not saying you're wrong, but Google translate says kitsune translates to just any plain ol' fox. Unless I've misunderstood what you're talking about.

• YoiteShimizu

YoiteShimizu

#33572613 - 3 months ago

Kitsune does just mean fox, but foxes have a prevalence in japanese mythology as Yokai. Kyuubi no kitsune, (if I remember correctly) is a fox spirit, specifically the nine-tailed fox, which is what the nine-tailes in both pokemon and naruto are based off of.