Forums > Board Games & Tabletop Games

Magic: The Gathering

Posts (13241)

• RoadBlock

RoadBlock FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold DONGS

#725086 - 14 years ago

DISCUSS!!! Or I will go all TurboNecro on your ass!

• PeterJ842

PeterJ842

#725102 - 14 years ago

In reply to RoadBlock, #1:

Finally A good thread . I like magic. I play Magic. Im ok in magic. A lot better than Yugioh and Pokemon i think.

• benf_2004

benf_2004

#725113 - 14 years ago

I haven't played Magic in years. I started playing back around the time of 4th edition. I bought some cards after I stopped playing, but I don't think I've played a game since around the time that Tempest came out.

• Horsemen4War

Horsemen4War

#725253 - 14 years ago

In reply to benf_2004, #3:

i ahvent played in a few months, i miss my instant damage red deck, and my green/blue. man imm ago get back into it. again i didnt c this thread, when i read all of them( im blind, no shit).

• cobracomnder

cobracomnder

#725756 - 14 years ago

In reply to Horsemen4War, #4:

I miss the old school days of magic.....to many cards now a days are too reliant on combos....

I want to return to the old Thicket, lure, regen days....back when card combos were hard to get going.

On that note I would also like to see another Legends esque set produced.......multicolored cards were always my favorite cause you had to be quite versatile....that and it gave me a reason to use most of my dual lands in one deck =)

• CSOMjolnir

CSOMjolnir

#725971 - 14 years ago

Just started playing again. My brother was into Yu-gi-oh. It was to easy and cute-ish. So I introduced him to Magic. It's mainly his new cards to my old. Mine still have the advantage.
    Anyone notice that legends and multicoloured cards are given out more than they used to be? Every deck seems like it comes with a legend or two.

• The_Shaunz

The_Shaunz

#726306 - 14 years ago

yeah Im in the same boat as Benf... but every now and then when Im bored I'll pull out the cards, make a deck and whoop some n00b ass who thinks hes all that with his new cards

• Gee

Gee

#727992 - 14 years ago

one of my friends is going to teach me how to play Magic. I would rather learn the new magic-type game that's based on Marvel characters, but oh well.

he sells Magic cards on line, and sometimes makes these really cool imitations of expensive cards.

• The_Shaunz

The_Shaunz

#728170 - 14 years ago

I'd just like to know what everyone's favourite combos were/are. Try to stay away from common ones or at least mention some creative ones in the same post.

Mine?

channel/stream of life hahahaha (channel... pay life for mana; SOF... pay mana for life)
    Turnabout/Sirens Call (Turn.... Tap or untap all opponents creatures; Sirens... All opponents creatures must attack, if they cant they are buried)

• Dreamscapes

Dreamscapes

#728296 - 14 years ago

I still have my original decks from when I was ten. But I've forgotten how to play....sigh...

• cobracomnder

cobracomnder

#729395 - 14 years ago

In reply to The_Shaunz, #9:

my favorite combo which takes forever to get going is

Snake Basket, Coat of Arms, and Alter of Dementia....i milled this one guy for over 400 cards...lol....that'll teach him to use mana flare when playing against a snake basket

• CSOMjolnir

CSOMjolnir

#729643 - 14 years ago

Cat Burglers, 20 of the hundreds of cheap discard cards, Racklings, The Rack.
    That just gets the deck going.

• Duran8998

Duran8998

#729660 - 14 years ago

I've forgotten the number of times i've sold my soul for this game.

I used to play it all the time, but then they added this gay card called like "Stasis" Or something.

All I remember is whenever the guy played it, I couldn't untap any mana I used. Groovy...

• Nethero

Nethero

#729905 - 14 years ago

I have piles of piles of 4th- 7th edition cards collecting dust in my house right next to warhammer 40,000 guys...one day I will probably put it up on ebay.

• Donutrox

Donutrox

#729958 - 14 years ago

In reply to Nethero, #14:

Currently trying to get as many Mercadian Masques cards as possible, to build a deck completely from that set. I have an argument with this guy over whether it was a better set than Invasion. Power-wise, he will soon be owned!

• The_Shaunz

The_Shaunz

#730064 - 14 years ago

In reply to CobraComnder, #11:

I dont think i know the cards snake basket and alter of dementia....
    but speaking of coat of arms and combos that take forever...
    Coat of Arms, Conspiracy is the skeleton... conspiracy makes all your creatures the same creature type
    you can add on things like Belbes Portal which lets you put cards of a chosen creature type from your hand into play.... or Urzas Incubator which reduces chosen creature types mana cost... there are so many different things you can add to, well coat of arms really

• The_Shaunz

The_Shaunz

#730065 - 14 years ago

errr... conspiracy***

• CSOMjolnir

CSOMjolnir

#730079 - 14 years ago

In reply to Donutrox, #15:
    Rebels with a Lyn Sivi (sp). She lets you pull any rebel into play from your deck if you pay the the chosen cards casting cost to activate her, and for an extra three it can be from your graveyard.
    Mercenaries are good to.
    M.M., that was a good series.

• Donutrox

Donutrox

#730502 - 14 years ago

In reply to CSOMjolnir, #18:

Just got some vicious new stuff today:
    -Death Watch: Enchanted creature dies, gain life=its toughness, opponent loses life=its power.
    -Thran Forge: Turns non-artifact creatures into artifact creatures.
    -Runesword: Target creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn, creatures it kills are removed from play.
    -Fangren Firstborn: Creatures that attack with it get +1/+1 counters.
    -Soul Exchange: Remove one of your creatures from play to revive a creature from your graveyard.

• cobracomnder

cobracomnder

#731033 - 14 years ago

In reply to Donutrox, #19:

I actually did a theme deck using Thran's Forge....it was awesome...i'd turn Shivan Dragons into artifact creatures and disenchant them, shatter them, devine offer them....all those artifact kill stuff...people really hated me...but boy...when you can take out Nichol Bolas with a shatter after he pays the cost for putting him into play you feel awesome!

• cobracomnder

cobracomnder

#731040 - 14 years ago

In reply to The_Shaunz, #16:

In reply to CobraComnder, #11:

I dont think i know the cards snake basket and alter of dementia....

Snake Basket : Artifact 4 colorless to cast
    pay X mana, sacrifice snake basket, put X snake tokens into play where X is the mana spent this way

Alter of Dementia : Artifact 2 colorless to cast
    Sacrifice a creature, your opponent mills cards from his library equal to the power of the creature sacrificed

• CSOMjolnir

CSOMjolnir

#731190 - 14 years ago

In reply to CobraComnder, #21:
    That reminds me. Isn't there a white card that keeps artifacts from being the target of spells and effects? I believe it's five years old. I know there is a new one that stops damage to them.

• Zephonim

Zephonim

#731384 - 14 years ago

In reply to PeterJ842, #2:

i havnt played magic for quite some time.....
    i started around iceage
    and i quit playing when 8th came out

• Zephonim

Zephonim

#731388 - 14 years ago

I'd just like to know what everyone's favourite combos were/are. Try to stay away from common ones or at least mention some creative ones in the same post.

Mine?

channel/stream of life hahahaha (channel... pay life for mana; SOF... pay mana for life)
    Turnabout/Sirens Call (Turn.... Tap or untap all opponents creatures; Sirens... All opponents creatures must attack, if they cant they are buried)

my favorite combo.....wirewood hut.....2 lands.....and (i cant remeber name but its abiltiy is tap to untap 3 lands)
    for those of you who dont know this combo.....it is an infinate combo...
    that is infinate land......then you can also add stream of life and it is infinate life.....
    killer combo.....

• Donutrox

Donutrox

#731704 - 14 years ago

In reply to CSOMjolnir, #22:

Fountain Watch, out of Mercadian Masques. That would be either 5 or 6 years old, I believe. 2/4 Guardian, forget the cost offhand.

And in reply to the guy who mentioned infinity combos, try this:

Wirewood Lodge (WL)
    Argothian Elder (AE)
    Any land with Elvish Guidance enchanting it. (Now refered to as EG)

Works as follows: Tap EG for mana. Tap AE to untap the land. Tap EG and WL to untap AE. Then tap AE to untap both lands. Repeat as necessary until mana is maximized. For other effects, or colored mana, add an extra Wirewood Lodge and Wellwisher (for life) or Wirewood Channeler (colorful mana)