Forums > Board Games & Tabletop Games

Yu-Gi-Oh

Posts (2954)

• Royal_King

Royal_King

#725357 - 14 years ago

Yu-Gi-Oh.

The #1 Best-Selling CCG in the World, and a personal best seller at my shop. They've recently released a new ban list (following the footsteps of Magic) that has evened out the playing field. Due to it's success, I've started playing it myself and I was amazed by how good the game actually is. It's not too "grown-up" and overrated like Magic...and not too "kiddie" and underrated like Pokemon, Yu-Yu, and Inuyasha. It's a great blend of the two great for all ages.

Discuss.

• Lifesucks963

Lifesucks963

#725701 - 14 years ago

In reply to Royal_King, #1:

i used to be really into it, but my friends started making fun of yu-gi-oh "freaks" so i stopped

what are the new bans,

• Royal_King

Royal_King

#725950 - 14 years ago

In reply to Lifesucks963, #2:

Then go to a Game Shop like mine, where everybody's a freak.

New Bans can be found: Here

• datalaughing

datalaughing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Always Right

#725993 - 14 years ago

In reply to Royal_King, #3:

My little brother was into it so he bought me a structured deck, the dragons one. I've decided that it's pretty fun so I've been improving on my dragon deck. 3 blue-eyes, a couple of Lord of D.s etc. It's getting pretty good.

• xenokaos

xenokaos

#726038 - 14 years ago

I used to play this game all the time. I miss it because I was the King Shit. I had an awesome deck, and I miss it. Good times.

• Robots200

Robots200

#726135 - 14 years ago

I admit that I am very much in to Yu-Gi-Oh! XD
    I went to SJC and I'm going to this upcoming regionals (the one in California)...
    I actually go to tournaments every Saturday and I am currently running a pro ban burn deck, I was using a pro ban machine, but you cant topdeck for shit! Any other hardcore players out there?

• Wesker33

Wesker33

#726604 - 14 years ago

i havn't played in like 2 years so i think my deck is considered old school lol

• Royal_King

Royal_King

#727616 - 14 years ago

In reply to Robots200, #6:

I suppose I can call myself a hardcore player. I am currently running a "Return-Control" deck I made up. It focuses on Back to Square One and Phoenix Wing Wind Blast to constantly return my opponent's cards back to the top of his deck, where he has to draw them again!

• Robots200

Robots200

#728015 - 14 years ago

In reply to Royal_King, #8:

In reply to Robots200, #6:

I suppose I can call myself a hardcore player. I am currently running a "Return-Control" deck I made up. It focuses on Back to Square One and Phoenix Wing Wind Blast to constantly return my opponent's cards back to the top of his deck, where he has to draw them again!

Yeah, I've seen those decks.... Pure evil... I got into a nasty lock like that in SJC.... He kept returning my cards while depleting my life points... THE MADNESS!!!

• Donutrox

Donutrox

#729962 - 14 years ago

I have a deck I call "The Pit," because a lot of the lines used in "Piper's Pit" (Rowdy Roddy Piper, of wrestling fame) seem to fit it.

"Just when they thought they had all the answers, I changed the questions!"
    "It's like throwing rocks at a guy with a machine gun."
    "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$. And I'm all out of bubble gum."

There is no real theme to the deck, just whatever I thought looked fun to have in. A lot of flip effect monsters, and some fun traps/magic/effect monsters to let them get their effects off.

My favorite card is my Gate Guardian.

• silenthunder

silenthunder

#730088 - 14 years ago

I used to be really into this, before it got made fun of a lot. I had some really good cards in my deck like Buster Blader, and I used that with DNA Surgery to turn all of my opponents monsters into dragons so he would get a big power boost.

• datalaughing

datalaughing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Always Right

#730092 - 14 years ago

In reply to silenthunder, #11:

Nice strategy. A little cheesy though, but I guess cheese wins these days.

• goatman93

goatman93

#730277 - 14 years ago

i got rid of my deck years ago sold like 200 rare cards for $100

• aleryuan

aleryuan

#730359 - 14 years ago

I have a deck! Its called the i kill yu-gi-oh fans deck!

• datalaughing

#730966 - 14 years ago

In reply to aleryuan, #14:

I just thought I'd point out how insanely idiotic it is to come into a thread just to say that you don't like the subject matter. I pity you and hope that someday medical science finds a way to increase your IQ to a level that at least qualifies as remedial.

• Royal_King

Royal_King

#732131 - 14 years ago

In reply to datalaughing, #15:

+1 Ditto to you

On another note, the new set is coming out in 1-2 months, I personally can't wait for Brain Control...not because of the anime (which I can't stomach) but because I want something that's as good as Change of Heart!

• Beaver

Beaver

#735087 - 14 years ago

In reply to Wesker33, #7:

Shit man, i'm with you there. I used to be big into it back in the day. I played a water deck. And it owned, it focused on The Legendary Fishermen, tornado wall, and Legendary Ocean. It was damn good. I hear these people talking bout cards, and i have no clue what they are. I also played a dark deck on occasion, it was kick ass to. I used to do tournies, but stopped cus of it cost to much money to keep up to date with the new series that came out. It is still fun to go to my local game store and own the little kids though, they are fun though.

• Royal_King

Royal_King

#735704 - 14 years ago

In reply to Beaver, #17:

You can get back into the game for 10 dollars. Allow me to say that again in all caps:

$ $ T E N --- D O L L A R S $ $

That's right. There are 2 (soon to be 4) complete structure decks available that retail for $10 a piece. Skipping the horrible names, they are:

Dragon Type Deck
    Zombie Type Deck
    Fire Attribute Deck (coming very soon)
    Water Attribute Deck (also coming very soon)

For $10 you can resurrect your water deck and your interest in Yu-Gi-Oh. I guarantee that the water deck is playable out-of-the-box. For $20 you can by two of them and mix-and-match.

• datalaughing

#735801 - 14 years ago

In reply to Royal_King, #18:

I don't know anything about the future decks, but I got the Dragon deck and my brother got zombies. They're both pretty damn good straight out of the box.

• Robots200

Robots200

#736341 - 14 years ago

In reply to Royal_King, #16:

In reply to datalaughing, #15:
    I want something that's as good as Change of Heart!

Theres also enemy controller

• datalaughing

#736361 - 14 years ago

In reply to Robots200, #20:

Personally I like to combine Snatch Steal with Bad Reaction to Somachi. Better than Change of Heart.

• Royal_King

Royal_King

#736935 - 14 years ago

In reply to Robots200, #20:

In reply to Royal_King, #16:

Theres also enemy controller

Enemy Controller is NOT as good as Change of Heart.

Change of Heart gives you complete control of an opponent's monster for only the cost of Change of Heart itself.

Enemy Controller requires you tribute one of your monsters to control of 1 face-up monster.

Change of Heart: Gain Control of a monster. Lose Change of Heart
    Enemy Controller: Gain Control of a FACE-UP monster. Lose Enemy Controller and one Monster on your side of the field.

Enemy Controller is NOT that great, and you can only get a face up monster.

Snatch Steal is far better than Enemy Controller, but not as good as Change of Heart. First off, the Snatch Stolen monster is quasi-perminant. That's good! But you can only snatch a face-up monster. That's half-bad. Plus, (barring Bad Reaction) your opponent is gaining LP. Also bad.

Brain Control's text is this:

"Pay 800 Life Points. Gain control of 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field until the end of the turn."

I guarantee you that Brain Control will be limit one. Why? Change of Heart + 800 LP cost = Brain Control.

I present to you the next staple: Brain Control!

• GruntKilla

GruntKilla

#737071 - 14 years ago

I have to admit, my neighbor got me into the game a couple of years ago. I was never serious about it, my deck was crap, but good enough for what I used it for. I'm dissapointed to see some good cards on the ban list, mostly dark hole and monster reborn.

• Royal_King

Royal_King

#737134 - 14 years ago

In reply to GruntKilla, #23:

Well, the ban list is there for a reason. This is because the game stalled due to the over abundance of "staples." For example, before the ban list...every highly competitive deck ran the exact same 33 cards. The bans are there to open the game up. Thankfully, they are a GOD'S SEND. All the cards on the ban list are usually the ones most responsible for causing this state of blandness.

For example, Dark Hole & Raigeki prevent people from playing any monsters that were too hard to summon. Rituals, Fusions, and Tribute monsters were worthless. Monster Reborn was a free special summon for NO cost. It could also Summon your opponent's dead monsters, once again keeping Tribute and High-Attackers out of decks. These cards were great in the beginning. Then they ruined the game once more balanced cards were released.

But there are still powerful cards that have similar effects.

Raigeki -> Lightning Vortex
    Dark Hole -> Torrential Tribute
    Monster Reborn -> Premature Burial

The cards on the left are the banned and broken cards. The cards on the right are there relative equivlants, each with costs and downsides that make them more balanced and playable.

Man, do I love Advanced Format!

• Duran8998

Duran8998

#737412 - 14 years ago

I'm really good at card games, the trouble is being unable to afford good cards. I get owned in Yugioh because the girl I would play against was beaten so badly by me in a fair non-altered deck vs. non-altered deck, that she bought some really expensive, and really powerful cards. Like that horn that lets you call two of those big white dragons.

I stopped playing card games, because the cards they released started getting more and more gay. Like "Stasis" from Magic the gathering.