Forums > Board Games & Tabletop Games

Have you made your own game?

Posts (45)

• Tylerfeague

Tylerfeague

#16742219 - 5 years ago

Have you ever created a game before? Playtested, designed and more?

• time_circles

time_circles

#16745215 - 5 years ago

I once started to design a game concept with my housemate. We had a tile based board and worked out some of the mechanics but never got far enough that it was "playable". Was fun and I keep meaning to take it back up again.

• Tylerfeague

Tylerfeague

#16745610 - 5 years ago

In reply to time_circles, #2:

It is fun. Designing a game is almost like putting together a puzzle... Without all the pieces.

• time_circles

time_circles

#16747851 - 5 years ago

In reply to Tylerfeague, #3:

We just decided one night to pretty much start playing a game that didn't exist. Drew up some cards, and said "what would I want to do on my turn" and went from there. It was really fun to be able to say "I wish I could do X" and then just invent a mechanic that would let you.

I have a feeling that if we got further an insane amount of rebalancing would have been needed though.

• Tylerfeague

Tylerfeague

#16748631 - 5 years ago

In reply to time_circles, #4:

Totally. The game that I'm designing for class has gone through about 20 variations. We've play tested about 60 times. Which is a lot but every time we play test we find something new that should or could be changed.

• epzi10n

epzi10n

#16751170 - 5 years ago

I am currently. Does that count?
    the-hollow.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page
    hollowdevblog.blogspot.com/

• Tylerfeague

Tylerfeague

#16751891 - 5 years ago

In reply to epzi10n, #6:

Uh totally! This is very very impressive stuff :) how long have you been working on this?

• epzi10n

epzi10n

#16752661 - 5 years ago

In reply to Tylerfeague, #7:

Umm... almost 3 years now? Ish?

• Tylerfeague

Tylerfeague

#16752774 - 5 years ago

In reply to epzi10n, #8:

Wow, that's really cool. Is game making a career for you, or something you do as part of an interactive design career?

• epzi10n

epzi10n

#16752881 - 5 years ago

In reply to Tylerfeague, #9:

I'd be happy to make it a career or something out of it, and I'd love for it to become more interactive design, but at this point I am not... loud enough as it were. Not many people know of my project.

• Tylerfeague

Tylerfeague

#16753583 - 5 years ago

In reply to epzi10n, #10:

It seems like interactive design is a great career choice to me. I just finished an interactive design class. I loved it.

• epzi10n

epzi10n

#16753674 - 5 years ago

In reply to Tylerfeague, #11:

I mean I have a degree in Fine Arts and took many interaction design courses and loved them. AND I have a knack for graphic design and character design. So yeah. That would be wonderful.

• Elyessi

Elyessi RTX Press

#16783901 - 5 years ago

I haven't, but I am currently working on organizing a fan-based game for RT, so I'll let you know how that goes...I'm expecting a very long process

• epzi10n

epzi10n

#16785804 - 5 years ago

In reply to Elyessi, #13:

It is a very long process. I am about three years in, and I expect another year or so.

• Astarties

Astarties FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Ex Nihilo

#16790543 - 5 years ago

Got my name in a couple games as part of the playtest team. I know for sure I'm in Battlefield Evolution: Pacific War and I think I'm in at least one version each of Starship Troopers miniatures game and Babylon 5 A Call to Arms.

• Tylerfeague

Tylerfeague

#16790905 - 5 years ago

In reply to Astarties, #15:

That is pretty rad! I received an interview from a play testing company this week.

• Astarties

Astarties FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Ex Nihilo

#16791068 - 5 years ago

I used to be part of the demo team for Mongoose Publishing, so I had the opportunity to playtest a bunch of games and give input on them. My copy of Traveller is a preview copy and has an oddly textured cover.

• mdkraggedy

mdkraggedy

#16799459 - 5 years ago

I made a card game called thirteen once. It was really strict, the mechanics were at least. I've forgotten most of them but I do remember you set the deck out in four stacks of 13 and from there it was kind of like solitaire and war.

• Jaranu

Jaranu

#16802825 - 5 years ago

I actually was working on a D100 system for Mass effect. I have it all written down in a book somewhere.

• epzi10n

epzi10n

#16802867 - 5 years ago

In reply to Jaranu, #19:

Oh really??? My game began LONG AGO as a Shadowrun adaptation of Mass Effect.

• Jaranu

Jaranu

#16802875 - 5 years ago

In reply to epzi10n, #20:

I never finished mine. Mostly just got the basic rules down and some of the classes finished. Never even played an actual game with it, so its probably broken as fuck.

Never played Shadowrun. Closes I've ever gotten to it was ShadowRun Returns (Which was pretty good)

• epzi10n

epzi10n

#16802887 - 5 years ago

In reply to Jaranu, #21:

Returns IS a fantastic game, but it is not truly Shadowrun. I'd highly recommend it especially now that 5th ed just came out.

• Jopoho

Jopoho

#16829710 - 5 years ago

I've been developing a card game. It started out as a little pet thing, and I learned I could use it as a class project. Now I am trying to expand it beyond what I needed to turn in for school and get a completed project.

I've also play tested for a miniatures war game a friend was putting together. It's interesting to play test, because there's really not any metagame to speak of, and it can be startlingly easy to break apart a mechanic because you just happen to think in a different way than the developer.

• CharlesC1000

CharlesC1000

#16982054 - 5 years ago

I'm developing a Rwby table top RPG, but right now I'm just developing the rules for weapons,but later I will add semblances' once I understand them more,and dust rounds that will do status effects and even further down the road, specify team attacks. It's currently running off of a D6 system for everything. It's simple and complex at the same time.

• Grifreaper09

Grifreaper09 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16994403 - 5 years ago

In reply to CharlesC1000, #24:

If you need any help with that, I am more than willing to help out. I'm actually working on my own Final Fantasy table top RPG right now. And d6 is an interesting system, just look at ShadowRun. It's crazy.

In response to the rest of the topic, I was a game design student, but switched to Information Technology as my major and Game design as my minor. I spent my first year just working on designs and testing concepts for games as part of my classes. Made an interesting Fire Emblem style game based on Pokemon.