Forums > Board Games & Tabletop Games

Board Games Galore

Posts (16)

• ShayMonique

ShayMonique FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33164087 - 3 years ago

So my friends and I have weekly board game nights and we all seem to have very big collections of board games. Even if we have a lot we are still looking for more. If anyone has any suggestions or has any favorite board games you think others will enjoy as well, feel free to post. ...... Monopoly, Clue and Life don't count sadly. I'd play Monopoly any day but sadly... you can't play the board game by yourself.

• AzureHexagram

AzureHexagram

#33164569 - 3 years ago

Mage Knight, probably what I consider the greatest fantasy board game in existence, and the expansions just make it better. War, diplomacy, magic, raids, commerce, mining, conquest, player vs player combat... the list goes on, you can do pretty much anything you can imagine, and even play solo.

A single session takes a while though, I once played a game with three players that lasted about 6 hours, but two of those players really like to take their time when building their decks and planning their moves through the map. It would have probably taken 2 or 3 hours more with a couple more players.

• ShayMonique

ShayMonique FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33165882 - 3 years ago

In reply to AzureHexagram

Thanks! I'll definitely bring it up the next time my group meets.

• inxpitter

inxpitter Stray Thoughts

#33171465 - 3 years ago

As a friend of mine spends the majority of his earnings on board games to play, I actually have quite a few recommendations.

Dead of Winter is a fun co-op game where you and your friends are trying to survive a winter during the zombie apacolypse. There's tough decisions and secret goals, not to mention that one of you could have been dealt a secret traitor card.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill is an emulation of classic B-rated horror movies with typical trope characters and items. There's a countdown mechanic to the inevitable "plot" being revealed where one character turns out to be evil. Its a lot of fun and there's so many scenarios it'll keep you busy for days. It does require a lot of reading because each game changes so much depending on what the plot ends up becoming. For example, you could have space aliens, demons from hell, or even werewolves after the "traitor" is revealed.

7 Wonders is classic strategy. Each player chooses a starting civilization and does there best to get the most victory points through science, war, and culture. Pretty balanced and with several expansions out its solid choice.

Dominion, another classic strategy. Collect victory points to win, but you do this by starting with a small deck of resources and using those to buy more cards to add to your deck. Simpler than 7 Wonders but still overly fun.

I could go on, but that's quite a lot already. For more recommendations, I direct you to the YouTube channel Geek and Sundry and their popular series TableTop, where Will Wheaton plays tabletop games with a variety of guests.

• ShayMonique

#33171601 - 3 years ago

In reply to inxpitter

Yeah I used to watch TableTop Religiously. Such a good show. Also, Im obsessed with Betrayal and Pandemic but i have played those games. Have you heard of a game called Letters From Whitechapel? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

• inxpitter

inxpitter Stray Thoughts

#33171658 - 3 years ago

In reply to ShayMonique

Unfortunately no. I've read some reviews and it looks interesting.

As you've seen Tabletop, the show I have a few non covered games to recommend then.

Terra Mystica is a fun mix between fantasy and Settlers of Catan where your aim is to build cities by terraforming land to suit your needs. A bit complex at the beginning, but once you get into the swing of things it moves pretty fast.

Android: Netrunner is most comparable to Magic the Gathering, the trading card game. However, all available cards are bought initially in the starter set meaning rarity isn't an issue. A fun 1 v 1 duel between a corporation and hacker trying to take the other down.

And, I mention it only because it seems the most applicable, a tabletop roleplaying game such as Pathfinder or Dungeons and Dragons. One person should know the rules to help the others through character creation, but it essentially turns into a choose your own adventure book. Play for battle mechanics, or for story, but there's a reason they've become as popular as they are. Also, there are plenty of other tabletop roleplaying games to suit complexity and theme that your after such as superheroes, zombie apocalypse, far future, etc.

• Namlehse

Namlehse FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Hmmm

#33231030 - 3 years ago

In reply to ShayMonique

Betrayal is one of my Stepson's favorite games. Pandemic is one of the best Coop games you can buy! We also play a lot of Talisman and Dungeon Run. Ticket to Ride is one of the easiest games to get people into.

I just got two new games to add to our collection tonight. Oddly enough found out about them on TableTop as well :). Just discovered that series a week or so ago.

We keep talking about finding a group to game with.

27703559946_2d970f7027_b.jpg

• ShayMonique

#33238620 - 3 years ago

In reply to Namlehse

Haha yeah we saw those on tabletop as well. My friend and I have Small Wonders and a friend of ours was planning on getting Lords of Waterdeep. I hope you find a group to game with cause its usually a good time. More people need to play board games.

Heres a few of the games we have.

10426182_10152303540127465_818845813006810271408_10152806800827465_1769531779508

• inxpitter

inxpitter Stray Thoughts

#33238641 - 3 years ago

A few she says....

• Namlehse

Namlehse FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Hmmm

#33238926 - 3 years ago

You should see my closet..

I have Muchkin and the Lords of Waterdeep expansion in my Amazon cart. Figure I'll buy them the next big amazon order I have. We've been trying to find a group to play with, so far everyone just wants to play Warhammer lol.

• AndyMoor

AndyMoor

#33297947 - 2 years ago

I'm fond of boad games. My friends and I often play monopoly and the Lords of Waterdeep on weekends

• DangerHoppe

DangerHoppe

#33301055 - 2 years ago

Any except rune wars

RKL0F3Bh.jpg

• Sangjester

Sangjester DarkRelic

#33507053 - 2 years ago

Cthulhu Pandemic...... that's an insane game (pun intended). On easy, it took us over an hour to get through it.

• kindachishota

kindachishota

#33694862 - 1 year ago

Me and my family had huge crash on board games last few years. We used to play a lot and most of the weekend we spend without sleeping lolz.

Specially Monopoly and chess.

• fb_144651086453569

fb_144651086453569

#33733555 - 1 year ago

I don't play Monopoly but i am play happy wheels game.

• Tacoflavrdkis

Tacoflavrdkis FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Tacoflavrdkis

#33736952 - 1 year ago

Red Dragon Inn is a great board game to play with friends! Highly recommend it and it has a bunch of expansions too!