Forums > FIRST Members

The Random Questions thread

Posts (33129)

• casmarie

casmarie

#9831093 - 11 years ago

Here's a thread where you can ask any random question you want. You can definately ask ones related to science type stuff.

I'll answer whatever I can, but if you can answer someone elses question, don't hesitate to do so.

So enjoy!! smiley0.gif

• TheHyperOne

TheHyperOne

#9831822 - 11 years ago

How much is a dollar worth in Japan?

• casmarie

casmarie

#9831856 - 11 years ago

1USD = 104.673 JPY

If your referring to buying power, if I remember correctly (from an anime) 15000 yen buys a pair of shoes

• TheHyperOne

TheHyperOne

#9832609 - 11 years ago

In reply to casmarie, #3:

Ok, new question, we have LOLCATS but what do dogs have?

• gunslinger19

gunslinger19

#9832841 - 11 years ago

In reply to TheHyperOne, #4:

Every dog has their day...

Here's one - Why does the Mayan calendar end in Nov Dec of 2012? Are we all going to die?!?!?!

• TheHyperOne

TheHyperOne

#9832874 - 11 years ago

In reply to gunslinger19, #5:

IDK, they ran out of ink when writing it?

• gunslinger19

gunslinger19

#9832888 - 11 years ago

In reply to TheHyperOne, #6:

But I DON'T WANNA DIE!!! I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN PARIS YET!!!

Here's another one - Why aren't there more publicized pictures of the dark side of the moon?

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#9833083 - 11 years ago

In reply to gunslinger19, #5:

It doesn't end, but resets. The Mayan calendar works in cycles, and on December 11, 2012, the calendar will roll over accompanied with worldwide changes (possibly human extinction or, if you believe Shadowrun, the return of magic to the world). This cycle started approx August 11, 3114 BCE. The end of all the cycles will happen sometime in the year 53,000 IIRC.

• TheHyperOne

TheHyperOne

#9833091 - 11 years ago

In reply to gunslinger19, #7:

Because it is to Dark to take pictures of?

Really, probably because it isn't worth investigating deeply.

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#9833093 - 11 years ago

In reply to gunslinger19, #7:

Because the dark side of the moon changes. It's the half of the moon that is facing away from the sun. If you mean the FAR side of the moon, then it's because it's a huge pain in the ass because you have to fly to the other side rather than take pictures from Earth or Earth-orbiting satellites.

• TheHyperOne

TheHyperOne

#9833125 - 11 years ago

Here is a fun one, what is the Gravity Modifier you would use to calculate your weight, if you were headed to Saturn?

• gunslinger19

gunslinger19

#9833144 - 11 years ago

take your mass in kilograms, multiply it by 9.9 m/s^2 and you have the force you exert on saturn's surface. slightly more than that of earth. in english units i think its 17ft/s^2. correct me if i'm wrong. here is a favorite of mine:

how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#9833232 - 11 years ago

In reply to gunslinger19, #12:

42 logs annually.

• gunslinger19

gunslinger19

#9833269 - 11 years ago

Only as much as union regulations will allow ;-) or all the wood that a woodchock could if a wood chuck could chuck wood. What is the answer to the ultimate question about life the universe and everything?

• TheHyperOne

TheHyperOne

#9833357 - 11 years ago

Pie.

• gunslinger19

gunslinger19

#9833971 - 11 years ago

I like pie...i think know pie wins in cake vs pie. however is cheesecake pie or cake? it has a crust, so that would classify it as pie, but the crust doesn't cover the top, that makes it cake...which is it?

• SSGsupercool

SSGsupercool

#9834237 - 11 years ago

Why did I forget to do my laundry today?

• TheHyperOne

TheHyperOne

#9834246 - 11 years ago

Because the Cheesecake PIE told made you forget!

BOO-YAH! Two questions answered at once!

• gunslinger19

gunslinger19

#9834280 - 11 years ago

Verryyy niiice, how macheh?!?! Why is it that only the question or the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything can be known in a universe and not both?

• SSGsupercool

SSGsupercool

#9834852 - 11 years ago

There are two trains, one leaves dallas at 4:15pm with 87 passengers, the other leaves kansas city at 3:02pm with 102 passengers. The train leaving dallas is moving at 78 mph and stops ever 50 miles for 10 minutes, the train leaving kansas city is traveling at 52 mph and stops every 30 miles for 5 minutes. The questions is who the hell still takes the train?

• gunslinger19

gunslinger19

#9835105 - 11 years ago

My dad, cuz he drievz da trane...What if there was no Chuck Norris?

• casmarie

casmarie

#9839813 - 11 years ago

In reply to gunslinger19, #21:

Then people would stop making Chuck Norris quotes, I think that would be a good thing!

• casmarie

casmarie

#9839820 - 11 years ago

In reply to SSGsupercool, #17:

Because there's a little switch in the back of your brain that knew there was no point reminding you as you wouldn't have done it anyway because of laziness

• knuckles

knuckles

#9839860 - 11 years ago

In reply to casmarie, #3:

1USD = 104.673 JPY

If your referring to buying power, if I remember correctly (from an anime) 15000 yen buys a pair of shoes

Well I haven't looked up the exact exchange rate lately but having lived in Japan for two years if you're spending 15000 yen on a pair of footware you're getting ripped off. 15000 yen is approx $150.00 American. Right before I left there I went to the outlet mall they had and spend like 12000 yen (120 bucks) on two pairs of running shoes.

For my question: Why do people have to get incurable diseases?

• casmarie

casmarie

#9839929 - 11 years ago

In reply to knuckles, #24:

Well unfortunately I've never been to Japan (but would love to go), but I did say "if I remember correctly", but I guess I didn't. As for paying that much on shoes, in Australia some runners can cost around $250, not that I would pay that much for a pair of shoes anyway.

As for your question: Is it that the diseases are incurable or that we just don't have a cure for them yet?