Forums > FIRST Members

Let's bring incentives back to the forum

Posts (540)

• jeff

jeff Shorts Forum Mod

#14040613 - 9 years ago

As sponsors of the site, we are Rooster Teeth's investors. Over the past couple of years, I've noticed a shortage of forum activity, which I believe is linked to a lack of incentives for users to be on the website. Incentives like mod points, karma, staff awards, milestones, featured user. These incentives still exist, but they've either been altered for the worse, or were never upgraded, so they became stale.

smiley9.gif Karma doesn't really reflect anything anymore. Supposedly it reflects "site activity," but what does that mean to users who were on the site before the switch? And why are all the top people stuck to +99? I sort of liked that anyone could get up there if they worked hard, and at least when someone was put up there permanently, it was Scott.
    smiley9.gif Mod Points were changed to become a more "digg-like system," which is great, I post on Digg and I like it. However, their site isn't built like a forum. If you make the best post in a thread it could be on page 125 and it won't get the first reply. After trying both systems, mod points pretty much lost their edge and it's limitations made them lose all the fun.
    smiley9.gif Milestones seemed like a good idea but I think they could used some creativity. The only time they're updated is because something is a bug. It's also weird to me that I must REFRESH the list. I just think it'd be cool to have some off the wall milestone no one else has.
    smiley9.gif Staff awards got me really excited. There were no rules about it, you just had to be active and get noticed. One time I suggested they add more to update to the staff list and they said they would never add anymore. I think they missed a big opportunity to improve this feature.
    smiley9.gif Featured User used to be an honor, people would start avatar trends so others would become featured. I always thought it would be nice to put a blurb on why someone became featured, maybe because they do a webcomic or have a popular group or something. A Recommend a Friend to be featured would also be nice.

Whether you agree with my opinion or not, the numbers on the site have declined.

Since October 2004 there have been 46 million total posts, with 42 thousand posts in the past week and 4 every minute.

When I started keeping track of the posts/minute it was at 15. This is also probably because groups took a lot of forum activity away. RT also used to be 25 last I saw this, now we're down to 41.

I've listed a few of my ideas, but how do you, sponsors, think we should bring incentives back?

• Trevor

Trevor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Froink

#14040647 - 9 years ago

In reply to jeff, #1:

I agree with the milestones idea. More unique, original milestones could add as an incentive - especially for the Achievement Hunter users of the site - it becomes an achievement. Hell, they could even re-do the whole thing and call them 'site achievements'
    Not only new and original ones, but more frequent ones. Smaller "jumps" between image milestones or watchers, etc would make it be more attainable, and more interesting. I haven't gotten a milestone in over 6 months now and if I do get one - it's 4 days late.

In regards to karma - this is an awesome system but I don't think it's being used to its full potential. My karma hasn't moved more than 3 points in the last year and that's because I've been posting mostly on group forums. I really hate the group forum idea just because it takes away from such a public forum atmosphere. They're good for small groups but when my entire watchlist is composed of group forums karma gets ignored.

• Visceral

Visceral

#14040660 - 9 years ago

I noticed that our mod aggregates were no longer posted, and as you said the Karma system doesnt necessarily reflect anything.
    Im not sure what to do about that in particular but I kind of liked seeing my percentages. So it would be nice to have that or some other form of that added back to the site or user profile. With the option that you can have only your friends see it or make it public.

I have only recieved my first staff award yesterday from Joel, and it made me extremely happy.
    Unfortunatley I could see how getting a staff award would be difficult due to the lack of time the staff have to go through the site, but in my opinion they should be rare as it makes them all that more special.

I absolutley agree with the fact that groups have taken away from forum activity and I admit I am one of those people who stopped searching forums once I fell into my group niche.
    I recognize the issue, but do not know if there is a silver bullett to rectify the reduction in forum traffic.

Modifying the mods or adding other mod categories might freshen things up a bit. For example i recall another user mentioning that they wish there was a +1 WTF mod, Perhaps -1 Epic Fail mod, or any other iteration of similar Ideas. (not trying to rip off web soup).

Milestones, Adding something like recieved 10 or more mods on one comment or journal post. might be a good incentive for users to be more creative in the forum, instead of simply repeating lines from the show(s) comics and or other media.

I am at work now and will try to think of other Ideas but I am swamped with work and feel like I should be put into Recovery Mode but I will be contemplating the possibilites whenever I can.

Post edited 8/04/10 11:18AM

• Kschenke

Kschenke

#14040677 - 9 years ago

Yeah, I never see the milestones change. For a good 4 months, I had 100 watchers and I kept waiting for that achievement... never happened.

• Livein5

Livein5

#14040750 - 9 years ago

Well the groups is an issue, because you just get sucked into a certain group of people and you don't feel the need to go out side of said group.

I believe that what can make a community active is staff participation. Now let me preface this by saying I know the RoosterTeeth staff have a literal shit ton of work, and they have little or no time to come on and chat with the people on their site. But having said this, their bare minimum of particiation leaves the forums in a detached state from the rest of the usually active site. I'm not saying that they should drop everything and hop on the forums every day, but dropping in to one or two threads every day just to give an opinion, or comment on it can really light a fire under the thread. Putting it into a practical example, if I see that say Burnie has posted in the thread, I am much more inclined to go in and comment myself, rather then just a bunch of names I don't recognize.

Gamernights are something this forum doesn't really seem too interested in, but having a weekly thing where, once a week, there is a set game and time people can sit down and play with people on the site and play, or hell just talk, can't hurt. Also, this can branch off into Netflix movie nights, one night achievement races,anything of the sort that will make people come in, check the forums and maybe leave a comment or two, can't hurt.

There's just my suggestions, take them as you wish
    :) smiley13.gifsmiley14.gif

• Trevor

Trevor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Froink

#14040769 - 9 years ago

In reply to Livein5, #5:

Gamernights are something this forum doesn't really seem too interested in

Unfortunately this is where the group atmosphere does a really good job and already there are a number of groups who like to gather every week or so and just game with each other.

Perhaps if the staff created a whole new type of feature/forum where users can be on a list for a certain game - and have their gamertag displayed for quick reference. Maybe this list can highlight which users are currently online in a game etc etc, just to make it an easy interface for people interested in playing. But then again, this isn't a very forum-focused idea, more like a RT site feature.

• jeff

jeff Shorts Forum Mod

#14040771 - 9 years ago

In reply to Livein5, #5:

Yeah, the Q&A threads they would do would be pretty successful. I think they brought Brandon on board as a bridge between the staff and the site, but the only place I've seen him post is his group, and at this point I think he's helping out with the videos more.

• Thoric

Thoric FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Yikes

#14040784 - 9 years ago

In reply to Livein5, #5:

Game nights happen with either weekend hunts hosted by members of the community and every now and then the staff will post a night when they will be involved in some gaming.

There is a group out there for watching movies together you just need to go find it. It might have died off or just not that noticeable, but I know I've run across it a few times.
    --------
    Groups I think besides maybe a couple hundred are overall a complete waste. I mean the concept is great and all but how many groups have less than 100 members? are on completely random crap? I think most of the random crap or less popular groups could be turned into just threads and boost forum activity.

Or even get rid of the forums then I mean really whats the points of having a forum with different sections when you can make groups that are even more specific than forum sections and have a forum in them? seems kinda redundant....

One more idea why not have the group forums be part of the larger forum? I commonly check the new topics for threads if I see group forums in the new thread section I might be part of more groups and active in threads. As of right now I have to click on each group to see when new threads are created. Which when you are part of over a dozen or so groups becomes quite the hassle.

• Livein5

Livein5

#14040791 - 9 years ago

In reply to Froink, #6:

In reply to Livein5, #5:

Unfortunately this is where the group atmosphere does a really good job and already there are a number of groups who like to gather every week or so and just game with each other.

Perhaps if the staff created a whole new type of feature/forum where users can be on a list for a certain game - and have their gamertag displayed for quick reference. Maybe this list can highlight which users are currently online in a game etc etc, just to make it an easy interface for people interested in playing. But then again, this isn't a very forum-focused idea, more like a RT site feature.

Yes, I see your point, but it can play into the forum, instead of everyone journaling about it, make a post game report., discussion threads etc. It could bolster the activity.

In reply to jeff, #7:

In reply to Livein5, #5:

Yeah, the Q&A threads they would do would be pretty successful. I think they brought Brandon on board as a bridge between the staff and the site, but the only place I've seen him post is his group, and at this point I think he's helping out with the videos more.

Yes, at least I know from personal experience, seeing them being active on the actual forums gives incentive for me to post in that thread. I don't think I've ever seen Gus post outside of asking tech questions, same goes for Matt Hullum etc. Nothing boosts a forum more than "Internet Celebs" :D

• Cechmanek

Cechmanek

#14040871 - 9 years ago

In reply to jeff, #1:

Speaking of forum activity, the number one reason I hear that people don't go into the forums is that they're afraid.

• FinchLynch

FinchLynch FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14040882 - 9 years ago

In reply to Cechmanek, #10:

Everyone is scared to start somewhere new. It's survival of the fittest. People are also scared to ask people out on dates, yet new babies are born every day.

Some people need to toughen up a bit. We had a mentor thread for a long time. Don't know how that panned out.

• Cechmanek

Cechmanek

#14040957 - 9 years ago

In reply to FinchLynch, #11:

I think that thread produced one regular contributor.

Everyone is scared to start somewhere new. It's survival of the fittest.

I think that's part of the problem. That the forums are a really scary place where the weak are eaten alive. The best way to go into a new forum/thread is to lurk and then post.

• FinchLynch

FinchLynch FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14040964 - 9 years ago

In reply to Cechmanek, #12:

Well that is rule number one of the internet, but fear is not a component that can be controlled by anyone but the poster. Some places you aren't going to get into that easily, others are more forgiving.

The other thing is you have to consider the source. People that come in politely and are on topic aren't going to get that much grief. But if someone comes in all A.D.D. and starts spamming or just being stupid in general, they are going to get eaten alive. And that's a good thing because you have to follow the mentality of the mob. At least long enough until you have made some friends and you can possibly branch out or be a little more of yourself.

• Livein5

Livein5

#14040968 - 9 years ago

In reply to FinchLynch, #11:

Also, people get there heads bitten off on a regular basis for no reason either. Just some people are too comfortable in there niche.

Post edited 8/04/10 2:45PM

• Trevor

#14040974 - 9 years ago

I think one of the bigger problems is that new users will come into some threads, say something completely polite and on topic and are attacked almost instantly with someone just not wanting to get used to the fact that threads are public conversations rather than private skype rooms.

I'm not saying we can change how people react, and I'm not saying that is going to change. The truth is Checmanek that the main problem is the people that are doing this and you unfortunately can't just add a feature to the site that changes people's reaction to new folks.

Post edited 8/04/10 2:46PM

• Cechmanek

Cechmanek

#14040980 - 9 years ago

Some places you aren't going to get into that easily, others are more forgiving.

That's where lurking helps.

• FinchLynch

#14040989 - 9 years ago

In reply to Livein5, #14:

This comes back to survival. I got my ass handed to me daily, for months, in places I now call home. Some threads are trial by fire and you have to take your hazing.

i honestly have no idea what its like nowadays (in the general forums) but when I first got to this site, I would post in threads on the show, contribute to photoshop threads, go into game threads, etc. Those were more generally accepting but even there you might hit resistance.

But I remember trying to get into the Star Wars thread, what, 4 years ago, and people were just assholes. I stopped trying because it didn't seem to be worth my time but other places I felt were worth the effort.

Any forum on any big website is going to be scary for a newcomer.

• Livein5

Livein5

#14040990 - 9 years ago

Yes thats true, you can't really change peoples attitudes, best you can do is lead by example, but I don't think that will go far.

• Livein5

Livein5

#14041004 - 9 years ago

In reply to FinchLynch, #17:

Again, thats true, but with the vast majority of communities that would be more than happy picking up new members, you can see someone getting completed hazed and going "well fuck this" and moving on. People are just not as willing to put in the effort since any assclown with some change can set up a forum, but in the end it lives and dies by its community. if we continue this idea of a gated community, it won't appeal to anybody interesting in becoming part of a new community. I myself have been on roosterteeth for a year now, and only now have I got into the forums really, it's a pretty daunting task when you see people get cut down for no real reason.

• FinchLynch

#14041041 - 9 years ago

In reply to Livein5, #19:

Then how is this remedied on other forums (something awful, etc). I mean, it's not as brutal as 4chan over here but unless someone is seriously putting you on blast with every post, you really can't run to a moderator about it.

• Livein5

Livein5

#14041056 - 9 years ago

In reply to FinchLynch, #20:

Yes, I don't quite have a solution to be honest, more identifying the problem. Nothing is worst than 4chan btw.

• acidrain700

acidrain700 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14041064 - 9 years ago

In regards to karma, you can reach the top 12, even though when you reach +99 and your status remains at 0%, if you post enough you can pass other +99 users if they post infrequently. Jeskid has been passed twice and I've been passed once even though we're all at +99. Now could a new user make it all the way? It would be difficult and take a lot of posting, but not impossible.

• Hohenheim

Hohenheim

#14041082 - 9 years ago

Jeff has some pretty good ideas there, so I doubt we'll ever see any of them take place.

• Tick

Tick

#14041093 - 9 years ago

In reply to FinchLynch, #20:

Then maybe you should be able to report it, if they know there going to be able to get away with it why would they let someone new in their community?

I think another major issue is people's attitude's towards the OP of threads that shouldn't have really been created. People tend to flame or just be plain cruel in the hopes that there going to get a couple of +1 cool's for their effort. From personal experience that is so off putting from a newcomers perspective when you're trying to add something to the community and you just get shit for it.

As for the drop in posts, I personally think that's down to people being able to moderate themselves in a group rather than have a moderator breathing down their neck (WBLM thread I'm looking at you).

• FinchLynch

#14041117 - 9 years ago

In reply to Tick, #24:

I can see that work in maybe one of 20 instances. Moderators (no offense, I really don't know you), will rarely go after an average bully. The T.O.U. are vague enough that anyone can be punished for anything and some mods will do something if it is belligerent to a decent number of members, otherwise tattletales and whiners are rarely rewarded.

The issue with 90% of OMGLEVEL20KRAMAICANSTARTATHREAD threads is that it has been done before 97% of the time. They didn't bother to research the fact that an ICP thread is going to get shut the fuck down (if that's still the case). Like most of us agree, you should at least take the approach of lurking first.

Groups are probably the best bet for a noob. Once they get a feel for the place and make some friends, they can venture out into forums and have people vouch for them.

I don't know how shit in the forums is now. I might bum rush some threads (respectfully) and see what kind of treatment I get. But this place can be just like High School: cliques ahoy.

No one said people were nice on the internet.