Forums > FIRST Members

Let's bring incentives back to the forum

Posts (540)

• Buaf

Buaf FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Sponsor

#32820524 - 4 years ago

I'd consider it. The subreddit is generally where I'm at but it's kinda turning into youtube level comments. I'd like to have a reason to spend time on the forums more often.

• hypershot12

hypershot12

#32820528 - 4 years ago

In reply to Giries #32818369

They probably won't but I'd like it. The forums is where most of the older users hang out (whereas the new ones stick to journals) and so it would be good if they did it. I'm always in the forums but I don't really like the look of these ones, especially as the post numbers have been removed and there is a blank white space to the right.

• drtuck

drtuck

#32820864 - 4 years ago

In reply to Laurenz #32820528

I agree with the notion that having more incentives to post and whatnot. I have a lot of friends who are members of the site but never post. And whenever they have a cool new idea or something unique to share they can't post it because they don't have the proper Karma points to create new threads. Heck, I used to be super active on a forum called HaloGrid back in the day and the thing that kept me active was getting to the next user rank or something similar. Arbitrary as it may be to have that kind of thing, for certain people that is what they need to keep them moving.

The Karma point barrier for thread creating is perfectly understandable as it is a means of protecting from spam bots. I don't disagree with it. I was merely putting up the notion that it can also be a deterrent for legitimate users.

Anywho, that's just my 2 cents.

• Freelancer

Freelancer The Trash Man

#32821438 - 4 years ago

In reply to Laurenz #32820528

I just really hope these things will be fixed within the next two weeks.

• hypershot12

hypershot12

#32821443 - 4 years ago

In reply to Freelancer #32821438

Especially the forum stuff. For the people who use journals, the site is pretty good for them right now since load times have been reduced and every journal has now migrated to this sit.e

But the forums are still a pain in the ass to use.

• Freelancer

Freelancer The Trash Man

#32821458 - 4 years ago

In reply to Laurenz #32821443

I get tired of seeing journals from people who I know have been absent from the forums for years saying, "wow, new site works great!"

• Gorczy

Gorczy The Real Slim Shady

#32821466 - 4 years ago

In reply to Laurenz #32821443

Are the 20+ and 50+ forums still broken? Because those were two of the only places I actually posted in on the site. Now that karmas gone, that's all messed up. I know I and everyone else who used those forums as a hub are having to migrate. We tried making a group to prevent the migration from happening, but even that was missing and now lacks forum functionality. Right now we're using Facebook of all things for our forums, because somehow it manages to work better than this site.

• hypershot12

hypershot12

#32821475 - 4 years ago

In reply to Gorczy #32821466

As far as I know, they are still broken.

In reply to Freelancer #32821458

Exactly.

• Giries

Giries PA Guardian

#32821620 - 4 years ago

Bear with me here, I actually I have an idea. What about customizable forum threads? The mods or the OP could have control over the look and feel of their section/thread. I mean, hell, we have this white space, might as well use it to make the forums look cooler.

Yes, I know reddit had a similar thing, but that was one of the few things I ever liked about reddit.

• hypershot12

hypershot12

#32821638 - 4 years ago

In reply to Giries #32821620

Sounds like a cool idea. I'd probably limit it to BAR's and other threads that are posted in consistently rather than those small threads which die after a few days.

• Zack

Zack FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Zatch

#32821807 - 4 years ago

Who knows what interesting things they will do to this site after it's foundation is 100% working and stable?

• Freelancer

Freelancer The Trash Man

#32822964 - 4 years ago

In reply to zack #32821807

I'm gonna take it to the basement, tie it to the radiator, and grape it for decades and decades and decades.

• Baberuthlessx

Baberuthlessx I'm awkward.

#32944048 - 3 years ago

Just scanned the first few pages and then this page of this thread so I do apologize if my thoughts are out in left field but I did read where someone had mentioned where it's hard for a new comer to find their niche in the forums and stick to journals. I'm not new to the community but I am new to the website. It is true that it's difficult for me to find a place here, I think maybe because I haven't been around as long and I've noticed that the same group of people seem to converse with each other and I just feel awkward posting as well. I also haven't been around since the dawn of RvB like most who use the forum. I'm very specific with my RT and AH content. I pick and choose what I watch or listen to and it seems to not be there things most people enjoy so it's harder I think to really engage with anyone. I'm wondering if they'll have a more specific forum set up when they start to update the website so it's easier [for anyone really] to join and existing conversation.

• Grecky

Grecky

#33757765 - 3 months ago

I'm new here and didn't noticed any incentives or karma points for every user. It would be cool to see the milestones of the pioneer members here.

• Fizz

Fizz

#33758132 - 3 months ago

This is an amazing post. 

You see, we had ALL of those things. Karma and milestones and even awards you could get from staff members. But for some reason they removed them all.