Forums > FIRST Members

Red vs Blue Season 17 FIRST! SPOILERS and DISCUSSION Thread: When the Timeline Comes Out Wrong, You Must Zip It

Posts (110)

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33754739 - 6 months ago

Hey gang, welcome to the Red vs Blue Season 17: First! SPOILERS and Discussion  thread! I’m AgentWashingtub008, a resident site-camper and crackpot theorist. Season 17 of Red vs Blue has everybody excited after that cliffhanger, and while there’s an open and more free-form discussion no doubt happening on the Beta of the New Site it’s time to open up a good old forum here for FIRST!s.  A space where firsts can talk clearly labled as spoilers for Members so at least everything is organized and not one thread where First!s always have to write in spoilers.  Of course there can be MORE conversation going on in other threads (like the Member one in the RvB Subforum) but I think this is a convenient option. Anyway, for FIRST!s be sure to come with your reactions, analysis, theorizing, crackpottery, arguments, research, fangirl/boying, arguments and general fun. You just need to like in-depth discussion about a show you like. There are more stories to tell, let’s get ready!

However, before we begin here are some general guidelines to help make the forum experience go swimmingly. (That I ripped off from myself (With some edits.))

Write With Care: Grammar is good. No one is perfect, but as long as you make the effort to make your points intelligently, the conversation will be easy for everyone to follow and readers will know you care about what you are saying and respond in kind,

Conduct Yourself Respectably: The forum is a shared space. Please do not come in here trying to cause a mess or rile up some people. It is almost guaranteed you’ll disagree with someone else here but acknowledging that and asserting your opinion are not mutually exclusive. Keep in mind a good argument is more persuasive than yelling, screaming, and tearing into someone else’s character. Also be aware that first impressions can last. Try and present yourself with your best foot forward to start a successful journey through the thread.

###pRooster Teeth Forums are something viewed in public and the workplace.   There is more information in the ###a href="http://achievementhunter.com/terms-and-conditions">Terms of Use you agreed to when you joined the site. You and I are well aware of the lengths Red vs Blue goes to for jokes.  It’s M for Mature comedy with some sometimes heavy Suggested for Mature Readers (comics) material in there too.  Still, that’s no reason for being lewd for no reason or doing things just to be shocking or vulgar.  We’re having a discussion here.

Spoilers: Spoilers are an important part of what keeps conversations going smoothly, especially in discussions mixed between FIRST! and Member users.  There is a latency that can be a day and can be a week (unfortunately) between these two groups.  No one wants to ruin the show for other people.  Spoilers will not be as important because of the nature of this thread but I still think they should be discussed.  Here is how they work. Click the little Slashed-Eye on your formatting bar and type away! Use your mouse to hover over or highlight an area of tagged text to view it.  If you have seen a video here before public release or have just watched it at launch, tag your spoilers in even a spoiler-titled thread. Generally once an episode has been live for the public (and they’ve had the time to watch it in full) , spoilers are considered fair game, especially in the heat of discussion in a spoiler titled thread, but try to be courteous.   While this thread has been labeled as FIRST! And Spoilered, there’s still the chance of some people not seeing things, and wandering in here.  And let’s say a trailer goes up “unannounced” put that is spoilers for an hour or so so people can go watch it themselves or choose not to and know to ignore your posts about it. As a general rule of thumb, content is considered fair game once it has been released to the public/intended group (FIRST! content) and enough time to watch it (the run time of the episode) has elapsed.

Lurk: Have you ever have your mom tell you it is weird when you stay in the corner for a while to try and figure out what is going on before entering the social space? (Just me?) Well, in here that isn’t an issue. It is actually encouraged. By watching the thread you can see what is the tone and tempo of the conversation going on now. Also, instead of bringing up the same point over and over again, if you found something you want to continue talking about, you can reply to that thought someone else had and you’ve already got a foot in the door. Be careful though, if a topic is older (like a week) you may want to preface your statement or idea again. The key part of lurking is gaining a sense of where the conversation is at. It’s actually free to pay attention.

Try to Stay On Topic: Some threads, like this one, are made with a specific purpose. Try and be respectful of that. People come to specific topic threads for that kind of discussion. There are other threads for more general talking (Bar Threads) and you will be more than welcome there. This is not a chat-room. As to the specifics of this rule, what consists as “on topic” is something related to either the show itself or a show-relevant argument. For instance if something that happened is reminiscent of Star Wars, that is fine to call out. If you are making a point about radio science and no one seems to understand it, an explanation is fine. If a point about the conversation needs to be made, make it. But remember, this is a place about RvB the show and all points of discussion should be able to be brought back to that. (Not all comments obviously, people can get distracted.)

Organize Your Thoughts: When reviewing the conversation in the thread, do not make an individual reply to everything. Try and make all of your points in one post with multiple replies. You can help distinguish where your statements are meant to go in the over-all conversation, but the “reply” function will help you for that. Mobile users also have a hard time editing posts sometimes, so it’s fine but please try to not spam.  Post-spamming really just gums up the page and doesn’t present you that well either.

Remember This a Group Effort: Like the previous point, this one is about not dominating the conversation. All of us are all on different internet connections with different speeds as well as having different schedules and circumstances that may effect when and how often we speak. If you have a lot to say, a double post may be appropriate, but try to leave time and space for someone else to talk too. If you are the last person to have posted and you have a really cool new idea, give it a half hour or so if you can. This is talking WITH people, not AT them.

Have Fun: That’s right, we should all be here because we enjoy Red vs Blue and that is the most important thing. We are the greatest online community for a reason and that is because we can all have a good and respectful time together sharing the things we like and maybe even things we don’t like but even that should be a fine experience. Let other people have their fun too. A new conversation may start up with other people, if you have nothing, leave them be. This is a place where we all should be able to talk and have a good time, try it.

And there is the long of the guidelines. We can’t predict everything that could happen, but following these generalities will help. We also need to work together to keep it fun and safe. Report trolling, flame-modding (where everything gets a -1 mod for no reason) , dishonorable conduct, and bullying. Team work makes the dream work, guys.

I can’t wait to get started talking about RvB in-depth with our reactions, analysis, theorizing, crackpottery, arguments, research, fangirl/boying, arguments and general fun. Before we go, the briefest of reminders: Don’t be an idiot or an asshole and look out for the Forum Yetti.

What happens after a paradox?

• AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush

#33754754 - 6 months ago

What I'm curious of with this season, pertains to how they handle Chrovo's and Donut,

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 Keeper Of Kittens

#33754756 - 6 months ago

So, we don't use spoiler tags here, correct?

• AgentWashingtub008

AgentWashingtub008 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Crackpot of Coffee

#33754761 - 6 months ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

More or less. Trailers and previews are iffy. Use your best judgement.

• Agent_DC-1

Agent_DC-1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Happy to Be Here

#33754774 - 6 months ago

Ha ha! We're back in business! Everyone aboard the Hype Train!

• voltex

voltex FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Son of a b-

#33754946 - 6 months ago

Something a bit curious that I've noticed: Joe Nicolosi's twitter profile now lists him as the former showrunner for RvB, with only S15 and S16 listed. Not sure what this might mean for S17, if anything. 

Joe's Twitter

• SailorGirl81

#33754947 - 6 months ago

In reply to voltex

Didn't they switch to Jason Weight? 

Does it matter? 

Who writes RvB is of little concern to RT

• Agent_DC-1

Agent_DC-1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Happy to Be Here

#33754950 - 6 months ago

In reply to voltex

Maybe he stepped down? Or maybe they're putting in Weight to ease all the community backlash from 15 and 16?

• SailorGirl81

#33754951 - 6 months ago

In reply to Agent_DC-1

He's still writing for Rooster Teeth Animation-I'm not watching Genlock so I don't know if he's in the credits, but there are quite a few animation shows now. 

• AgentWashingtub008

#33754952 - 6 months ago

It could be because he wrote 16 & 17 as a unit, but after that he's handing it off.

• SailorGirl81

#33754954 - 6 months ago

So you have to follow the RvB PSA's separately from the RvB series on the new site. I know this because a new PSA just got posted and I learned of it via twitter and not a notification. 

• darkside1215

darkside1215 Junky Old Robot

#33754978 - 6 months ago

Looks like Joe is working on a secret project and is leaving the show. Looks like the writer is Jason Weight and the Directors this season are Austin Clark and Josh Ornelas.

https://roosterteeth.com/post/51995661

• Nabla

Nabla FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754983 - 6 months ago

In reply to darkside1215

"The delectable Jason Weight has thrown his… mass behind writing this season’s twelve episodes."

Lmao hahahahha. 

In other news, how has there been absolutely ZERO hype behind this season (in terms of RT posting on Youtube/FB/etc. ) I just happened to find out March 1 when the premiere was happening. I feel like I've always known months in advance. 

Didn't even know there was a trailer until today

• AgentWashingtub008

#33754986 - 6 months ago

In reply to Nabla

I'm still on the side of "If they gave us anything in advance we'd pick it apart too soon."

-----

The following is from the Collider post with the new season's trailer.

The flow of time is in disarray now that Chrovos has been freed from their old prison, and the Reds and Blues are unwittingly trapped, reliving their past memories. Fortunately, there’s still one person in the universe who can do something about it: Donut. Thanks to his quick thinking, Donut manages to trap Chrovos in a temporary cell, but it won’t hold for long. Chrovos’ lackey, Genkins, travels through time with the Reds and Blues and changes the events of their history, creating cracks in an increasingly fragile timeline. If Donut can’t find a way to snap his friends out of it, Chrovos will truly be free and life as we know it will be rewritten.

I'm most interested to know if the lady talking with Donut is another (former?) agent of Chrovos / Shisno or if she's a new Cosmic Power.

• SailorGirl81

#33754994 - 6 months ago

In reply to darkside1215

In reply to AgentWashingtub008

Called it. 

Yet it didn't seem to stop them from flooding the internet with genlock advances

• AgentWashingtub008

#33754996 - 6 months ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

Yeah, but we didn't really know anything about gen:LOCK prior to its release.  At least not as much as I'm about to prove I know about Red vs Blue.

-----

I just made myself a cup of coffee because it’s time for a good old-fashioned Agent Washingtub pick-apart.  EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS IS PROBABLY A SPOILER, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

What’s happening to the Reds and Blues?  Who is fighting against them?  Will the timeline be restored?  How many pages can I get out of 30 seconds of footage? 

Here’s the official synopsis of the trailer provided to Collider:

“The flow of time is in disarray now that Chrovos has been freed from their old prison, and the Reds and Blues are unwittingly trapped, reliving their past memories. Fortunately, there’s still one person in the universe who can do something about it: Donut. Thanks to his quick thinking, Donut manages to trap Chrovos in a temporary cell, but it won’t hold for long. Chrovos’ lackey, Genkins, travels through time with the Reds and Blues and changes the events of their history, creating cracks in an increasingly fragile timeline. If Donut can’t find a way to snap his friends out of it, Chrovos will truly be free and life as we know it will be rewritten.”

Let’s begin.

Even the first two seconds have something interesting to look at.  The background f the shifting blue is like the inside of the time-portals.

Caboose asking “If you’re from the future, than what am I thinking about right now?” is your typical Caboose line.  BUT this is the Great Plains of Blarganthia: the location where Donut put on his “time-travel play” for Tucker.  I’m going to bet this is early in the scheme of events as Genkins works to pick the timeline apart (as per the season description).  Donut will probably try explaining the new situation directly here, only to have it be more confusing to the Reds and Blues who believe that they’re in Genkins’s new version of events’s “Sent forward in time by a bomb” situation and either disregard him or just stay confused. 

I went ahead and watched season 3 episode 43 again.  I’m not exactly sure if it gives us any more insight into season 17 itself, but it’s funny and deals with how they first explained time travel.  I have a lo of things to wonder about, but I don’t want to get too far off the trailer just yet

THIS NEW LADY begins telling Donut what the summary tells us.  Genkins is going to try weakening the past further, probably in an effort to truly free Chrovos.  We see events up until Chorus as she does so, mostly unchanged except in looks.  This and the summary make me re-think my previous statements in the forums that the Paradox happened and the Reds and Blues were taken to a pocket dimension.  If Chrovos isn’t free than Time wasn’t destroyed completely so they probably are in “the past” now, but ripples of the paradox and Genkins’s meddling start to alter events.  Pretty directly we see Genkins’s head over Church.  Now maybe Donut (and others) can see Jenkins for who he is in the right circumstances, but this also might be the moment Genkins replaced Church in this new divergent timeline.  And if Genkins is where Church is, where does that put Church..?

The Lady (I can’t think of a zippy fan-name for her yet) seems to have an understanding of events, and since she wasn’t around in 16 that we know of, I have three viable ways to explain it

1 -- She’s a Shisno/(Former?) Agent of Chrovos who know from experience what happens in this kind of scenario.  I’m not 100% behind this.  While it’s strong to assume an agent of Chrovos would be in the void where the Great Treadmill was, she looks humanoid so I’m not entirely certain Chrovos would have had a third human agent.

2 -- She’s another Cosmic Power.  I only say this because she’s got weird armor like the other Cosmic Powers and she’s knowledgeable.

3 – She’s a Great Warrior.  Once again the idea of her being human casts some doubt, but before the Paradox we know of at least two human Great Warriors coming from two Ancient Alien inhabited planets with Great Weapon Keys and both of those were in what was human occupied space.  Locus went down a further path than Tucker so who’s to say someone else couldn’t have as well.  Furthermore we know that Great Warriors have (or at least Great Weapons provide) some immunity to effects of temporal distortion from the final battle with Wyoming, Locus locating the Red and Blues at the end of season 16, and maybe even Tucker and Grif’s odd behavior in the epilogue as well.  (This is also why I consider it possible Tucker will be able to recognize Genkins in his Church disguise.)

None of these options are definitive to me, but I’ll shout “called it” to the heavens for any of them if I’m right.

After the Genkins reveal we start to get old scenes with new lines of dialog.  First, Sarge back in the “Episode 43” scene answering (probably Donut from the same scene) with the question “Shut up?.”  Wash then asks the Reds and Blues for their trust before the new timeline’s Season 11 battle for Crash Site Bravo.  We know this because Wash is in back in dark gray and other scenes from the jungle canyon battle are shown in the trailer.  UNLESS, this timeline’s Genkins/Church doesn’t follow the same path as Church exactly and he never fakes his death in the battle that killed The Meta and so Wash never takes on the cobalt armor.  The ramifications of Genkins-Church are limitless and mind-boggling. 

Lastly Tucker being confused over the end-card is one more point for my “he’s not completely taken by the effects of the time travel nonsense” argument and Caboose may be making yet another meta joke like always. 

It also might be a meta joke in this context, but imagine this: Donut tries to prove the time-shenanigans to Caboose or more people using some sort of documented evidence.  Caboose sees the better graphics of the documentation as proof that Donut is from the future, not the knowledge in the documentation.  Double joke, calling it here.

That’s it for the trailer itself, but the summary says the “flow of time is in disarray” so I should mention that it’s possible Jenkins and Donut will be jumping back and forth in the new timeline and we won’t see events in the order they occurred already.

Here’s my greatest crackpot to come out of the trailer and the summary though.  Donut trapped Chrovos in the new timeline which IS a “pocket dimension.”  Donut (somehow) was able to take the pieces of time that concerned him and his friends and threw them back together to make a prison for Chrovos as well as a haven for his friends out of an imperfect recreation.  (He took the versions of them that initiated the paradox and the most current version of Wash.)  I’m saying this because the summary says the Reds and Blues are reliving their past, not Donut is going through THE past.  You can’t relive something if it’s still the first time, even in a divergent timeline.  Genkins is not only hopping around to try and break this timeline, but to find Chrovos as well.  Donut has to make sure that doesn’t happen while he also figures out a way to set things right with the help of his new friend. 

Those are the conclusions I came up with, but what about you?  All I know for certain is I’m #VeryExcited to see how this all plays out.

P.S. 2.2 pages, that’s how much I got out of thirty seconds of footage and four sentances.

• Agent_DC-1

#33755024 - 6 months ago

In reply to AgentWashingtub008

The new lady looked a lot like Kalirama to me. Maybe some sort of acolyte? Really interested to see if you're right about Tucker, and super excited to see all the old moments again. Also, am I the only one who wants Genkins to face off against the real Church?

• AgentWashingtub008

#33755027 - 6 months ago

In reply to Agent_DC-1

A god fight in AI time.

-----

THIS JUST IN
    LEE EDDY JUST TWEETED SHE'S VOICING THE NEW LADY IN THE TRAILER.
    SHE VOICES 47-9'R.
    NEW LADY HAS A BLUE VISOR TOO AND WHAT LOOKS LIKE ALIENED ODST ARMOR
    HOW DID I MISS THIS?

• Agent_DC-1

#33755084 - 6 months ago

Soon...

• Agent_DC-1

#33755098 - 6 months ago

Am I the only one not seeing RvB OR gen:LOCK on the schedule?

• Agent_DC-1

#33755100 - 6 months ago

Nevermind, I found it! Holy crap, the hype! Here are my thoughts:

1. This was definitely playing up the nostalgia, and I love it. RvB has such a rich history, and so many "what if"s. Really looking forward to seeing all the old moments again, and how Genkins screws it up. 

2. The title sequence was cool, good idea for them to use the different character models. 

3. I love Chrovos (Chrova?) with his/her new design. Also, Chrovos is also an AI. So who made him/her? Can AIs make other AIs? 

4. I like the visual representation of the timeline in Chrova's prison, really neat aesthetic

5. Can't wait to see which points in the Reds' and Blues' history are the catalysts of new timelines

6. Too damn short!

• AgentWashingtub008

#33755101 - 6 months ago

In reply to Agent_DC-1

I'm not entirely certain if Chrovos is an AI or not.  Genkins refered to their condition as only being able to take on forms.  Chrovos made the monitors so maybe it's just a solid memory they could latch onto for representation that wasn't one of the three other people who visited the center of the labrynth.

-----

CALLED IT!

The whole "Chrovos is trapped by the mutable time of Donut's history with his friends" bit. 
    Also it feels REALLY good to be back.

Gonna be watching the episode several more times after I watch gen:LOCK but that was awesome.

• darkside1215

darkside1215 Junky Old Robot

#33755108 - 6 months ago

Thought this was a really good way to start the season. I think using the nostalgia of the series for this season was a good idea. I part of me was hoping that was the plan for S16 but seems like they'll be doing it for this season. Just seeing Caboose wearing red armor was something I never imagined, yet, I want to see more. I'm really hoping they go crazy with this. 

By the way it's great to see Lee Eddy back in the series!

A part of me is a little sad to see Joe go. Sure, his time on the show seemed to have split the fan base but I think he did a lot of good stuff also for the series. It's just weird to see that he won't be the one to continue the storyline he started. Either way good luck to him on his next project.

• SailorGirl81

#33755115 - 6 months ago

Caboose wasn't so Caboosey that early in the series-not until after his mind had been occupied by Omega. 

I liked the "opening" credits at the end. Wish the episode was longer. One of the reasons I haven't watched genlock is that the episodes are too long. (there are other reasons)

Why exactly is Donut so concerned about his friends? Haven't they been treating him like s**t for several seasons now? 

Let's hope this Jason Weight guy has actually watched the series by this time...

• AgentWashingtub008

#33755116 - 6 months ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

No, but I think we're supposed to take that as this Caboose is "current Caboose" shifted back into his past body in iteration...  Well we know there's been at least four timelines/paradoxes since Genkins first started forcing the crack more.

What I really liked is how Donut moved left and down as opposed to Huggins and Muggins moving right and up as they did in the last season's opening.  Also moving left-right can be read as indicating going "backwards."

Donut is just a god guy over-all.  He friends are (mostly) assholes but they've been together for years and he hasn't given up on them yet.