Forums > FIRST Members

New First Pricing

Posts (9)

• Kakureen

Kakureen FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Kakureen

#33760403 - 1 month ago

So I've seen a large amount of people raising issues with the new pricing and threatening to cancel their sponsorship. I guess my question what would make the price hikes worth it? 

For me personally I think the prices are fine i watch a variety of content and use the store semi frequently so I do not mind a price jump to help my favorite media company continue to make their content. the thing that doesn't make sense to me is that we are sponsors even if they don't really call us that every-time that is what we are, if you sponsor a baseball team they aren't going to give you unlimited baseballs but you might get one signed by the team to show a return on that investment, to let you know that they appreciate your support and that they will continue to work hard training. That was kind of an odd assimilation of the events but I believe it works for my point, too many people are looking at First as a subscription service but the thing is that most of the content is free to access only a little after it is released. That would be like if Netflix put stranger things up on youtube completely for free after they worked so hard to produce it, they would not get the same return on that. If you are and have been a first member you are first and foremost a sponsor you are aiding in the funding of all projects RT and company decide to make. To make another analogy that same baseball team you sponsor just because you fund them to some degree, this does not mean that you can tell the coach "OKAY, I'm tired of baseball you guys are a soccer team now!". That is  not how it works you fund them because you support what they do.

Alright, so now after my mini rant I'm still genuinely curious as to what in your opinion would make these new prices worth it since it seems that the massive amount of content that they already have and are in the process of producing/releasing is not enough to warrant them. (Thanks for coming to my interactive ted talk and have a great day!)

• mrbiggs

mrbiggs FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33760459 - 1 month ago

I've been a first member for about a year now, I don't mind the first+ pricing mainly because most of the content I watch is on rooster teeth. I do see that they are giving a copy of their game to first+ members so maybe they will offer some kind of bonus to first+ members kind of like how you get free games on twitch if you are a prime member.

• jordynstirto

jordynstirto FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33760477 - 1 month ago

I've been an RT member since the FIRST membership was called a sponsorship. But then they got "real sponsors" like Blue Apron, and we weren't sponsors anymore. I've had grandfathered pricing I'm so old to the community. But it seems like the bigger RT gets, the less the community feels like a community. 

For me, I paid for the membership because I wanted to support RT financially. The skipping ads and exclusive/early content was just an awesome perk! But it all came back to helping them keep the lights on and make content. But now, with them hiring celebrities, hawking DC (we get it, you're owned by WB), crunch time and pay scandals, and several disbanding Lets Play groups because making content has become a job, it kind of feels like they're asking for money just to ask for it. 

And I don't know if this is really RT's doing, or WB. I love the new content we've been given because of the new financial gain they've had. But I've reached a point where I can't justify $60 a year. I'll pay for a month for certain content, like Achievement Haunter, but since most of their content comes out for free a week later, either here or on youtube, I'll watch it then. I didn't even know they had a new game come out. There just isn't much in the way of incentive to get me to want to stay on the plan or upgrade.

I definitely won't be upgrading. At least with Double First you got a loot box. 

• MajTom

MajTom FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33760498 - 1 month ago

Having been a sponsor for some time, 12 years, I'm also among those not renewing for full term. When I originally joined the site it was generally just "Make cool shit, post it on the internet" vibe from the company and its onscreen talent. Where the majority of funding for those efforts came from merch and the sponsors. And tossing them a ten'r every 6 months to do something cool is a no-brainer for the entertainment I got from it.  But since acquisition that has been gradually been replaced more and more by standard corporate fare, shifting focus from fans to ROI for the "real sponsors". That's fine businesses are here to make money. The last hold outs for me are the AH guys, Miles/Kerry/Kyle and the Extra life team which is why I kept paying. But for 3x the price, that money can go elsewhere and get orders of magnitude more content, or help another person make cool shit and put it on the internet.

To put it to your baseball analogy; (for long time sponsors)

We came across a small regional team, who had barely enough people to play, that put on a good show. So we gave them money to continue doing it. In return we got access to preferred seating (upper deck is free) for most games, occasionally access to an exclusive shirt and our names posted on the fence.

They eventually could afford another player or two. They hired a couple coaches/managers who helped get them sponsored by Coca-Cola, Nike and GM. With that money and guidance they got more players and coaches/managers. But as a result, those preferred seats were eligible for fewer and fewer games, the fence is plastered with Coke, Ford and Nike logo's.  But they still put on a good game.

Now they're tripling the price of those preferred seats for an occasional free hotdog, half off nachos and the promise of more games in the future. For some it's worth it, but I'll be in the nosebleeds from now on.

• Kakureen

Kakureen FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Kakureen

#33760503 - 1 month ago

In reply to MajTom Ya know, personally I still do not personally have an issue with the pricing because I still enjoy old content new content is 100%  just an extra bonus for me in particular ( old content being things like the podcasts that are still running, gaming vids, etc.) However I do appreciate you adapting my baseball analogy. That definitely helps to understand some of the uproar around the raises. I guess I am on the worth it side purely because I did not become a first member until recently ,I was a free watcher for a very long time. Once I became a First member I became aware of so many more projects and I look at it as an emotional investment ( I don't really care what seats I get or if there are free hot dogs, I genuinely just want to watch them play and have fun ) 

• stephen85

stephen85 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33760576 - 1 month ago

My biggest issue is the app. I love all the content and am happy to pay the pricing. I feel I get SO much content for what I pay, but my access to that content is shaky at best. The phone app freezes or buffers a lot. If I turn the screen off to go do something, when I turn it back on and try to resume I get the 'Something went wrong' error and am forced to close the entire app and reload finding my place again. This happens all the time.

I'm almost never using a computer, so I watch on my Fire TV. But the official app isn't supported on there. So I have to use the Silk browser to access and stream the website. This worked fine for a long time, now recently videos chug and are impossible to watch. If I'm going to pay $60 a year, I need to have a decently working app to access this content. I know I'm in the minority because rarely access via a computer, but I still think it's one of those things I feel needs to be addressed, especially with pricing almost doubling.

• Kakureen

#33760683 - 1 month ago

In reply to stephen85 I can definitely get behind that ! I use the phone app more than anything as well and it really could use some tlc. the xbox app has stuff out of order and is just super janky  and those are my two main ways of watching content so a agree with that wholeheartedly!

• FlavarKlotzk

FlavarKlotzk

#33760733 - 3 weeks ago

I have been a first member for years. This is the second price increase in that time. Its simple far to expensive now for me. I liked being able to support the channel. Even if i never watched all the new additions to the network other than funhaus. 

But 60$ a year is simple more than i can afford. 

• mabaripup

mabaripup FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33761254 - 4 days ago

I just found out that they will no longer be grandfathering in members that have been subscribed for years at a lower cost even though they promised not to raise the price for those that originally subscribed at the lower cost. It used to be $10 twice a year ($20 a year) and that was justifable to me even if i didnt neccasarilly watch all the FIRST member content i just wanted to support one of my favorite companoes. But now to have all this backing from bigger companies and shit tons of ads in their videos (just in general i know FIRST members no longer have to sit through ad reads) and to still TRIPLE the cost of FIRST????! It is completely insane and unjustifiable, i will not be renewing my FIRST membership especially since it never really seemed worth it in the first place. Theres like what, two or three FIRST exclusive videos a week and you just get to watch stuff a little bit earlier? That's bullshit. $60 is absolutely insane for what is given. Seeing the way this company has been treating its members and especially its staff as of recently has really made me question any support i have given them.

also FIRST is a stupid name and i prefer "sponsors" cause thats what we were