....I should not contact tech support when I'm sick.
So a couple years back when I was still in school I purchased Office 365 University. It basically comes with a full Office 2013 and the other benefits of Office 365 (such as some Cloud storage). It is only 4 year license.
As you may or may not know, Microsoft want's you to pay for monthly or yearly license. It's not a bad deal if you always get the newest edition of Office when it comes out, as Office 365 is supposed to include a free upgrade to the latest and greatest. Now if you wait in between editions or leap frog between editions its better to just get a normal license.
The reason I mentioned all that is because Office 365 Personal is $70 per year. Office 365 University just requires an EDU email address, but it only costs $80 and that gives you a 4 year license (so basically $20 a year - albeit you can't pay yearly, you have to pay for all 4 years).
Now here's where the fun begin: I reinstalled Windows because I'm trying to get past a BSOD problem. So I'm reinstalling stuff and I go online and Google 'Office 365'. The top link is "https://login.microsoftonline.com/" - I click that, I fill in my EDU email address (cause I knew I purchased with my EDU email), and before I can put in my password, it redirects me to my school's website to login. I put in my school login and click login, and it takes me right back to my school's login form - with the form now empty.
No matter what I do I can't login. The login page is not the normal school login - (it is clearly their website, but if you were to put in their website address and click the login link, you would not get the login form I am getting).
So I close the browser, open a new one, and go to the main school site, and login (successfully). Next I open a new tab, and goto the Microsoft site - my theory being maybe it will see that I'm still logged from the other tab. No such luck. I'm back at Microsoft's login page. I type in my EDU email again, and it starts redirecting me. Only this time it redirects me to my schools website which automatically redirects me to Microsoft's website.
I'm now logged in. Yay me - I fooled it. MAWAHAHA.
I navigate Microsoft's website and find a download link, and download a very small setup.exe (looks like a web installer). I run that, and it brings me to a small login page stating I need to verify who I am to continue with the install.
I type in my EDU email, and try to go to the password, and low and behold I get redirected to the funky school login website that wouldn't let me login before. Nerts! I try logging in anyway (with the vain hope that my login woes before was because I was using Google Chrome as my web browser, and a Microsoft installer is going to be using Internet Explorer). No such luck here either.
But this is where I am stuck. The little login page the installer opens is not a full browser, so there is no way of opening a new tab to go to the main school site, or even address bar to type in a web address.
So after trying a couple more hodge podge ideas, I crack down and call the school tech support line. This is clearly their problem, as it is their login page that is failing. I spend probably 20 minutes in the queue before getting this jerk, who after I explained my problem to him and how it is their login page that is failing, the guy just dismisses it as Microsoft's problem and that they only offer Office Online (which doesn't include the Office 2013 desktop version).
I rant and rave at this guy for 30 minutes trying to explain to him the problem. I even give him the Microsoft website, having him put in my email address to see how it redirects to the school's website. He flat out tells me that even though Microsoft's website redirects to their login page, it's Microsoft's fault.
I try explain to him what a Windows Live account is how it works. But he doesn't use Windows Live and doesn't know how it works, so then I tried explaining Facebook to him - in how you can go to 3rd party websites and there will be a link to login with your Facebook account, and after you login at Facebook you get redirected back to the 3rd party website.
I tried explaining to him how Windows Live is the same way - and how the school had partnered with Microsoft/Windows Live and that the problem was on the school's end because the login failure was happening on their website. Nothing I could do would get this guy to see that it wasn't Microsoft's problem.
He's finally 'I need to put you on hold for 5 to 7 minutes'. I'm like okay, whatever. 15 minutes later, he finally comes back to me and lies to me and says how he just explained the whole problem to a level 2 tech and the the level 2 tech said the same thing: Microsoft's problem. He basically put me on hold hoping that after he had been gone longer than promised he was hoping I would have given up and hung up. Or he just wanted to try and punish me. At this point I've had enough and hang up.
So I Google 'Office 365 University' - and find a slightly different Microsoft login webpage (web address was slightly different). I put in my EDU email and this time it doesn't redirect me. So then I put in my password, and it takes me to this page that says my account has no Microsoft products. There's a new link that wasn't on the other site I connected to that was 'Purchase History' - I click that. It's empty.
Now I'm thinking great - these jerkwads erased my license when they merged the school's login with Microsoft's. While I'm messing around on this new site, there pops this window inside the webpage offering to let me chat with 'Microsoft Store Support'. I click that, and I'm talking to someone online explaining how I can't find my license or the download link.
(Edit hit max limit - finally continued in comments)